1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been referred to occupational health and worried.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jan245, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Jan245

Jan245 New commenter

Hi everybody. I am a teacher in Year 6. I have been teaching for 3 years. I am currently signed off for a month with depression after bursting into tears in front of my class and telling them I hate them. I have recently joined the school and moved house. I thibk it all got too much.school have asked me to see Occupational Health if I want to return or I can leave with a months notice. The occupational health appointment is a phone call not face to face. Is this normal. I'm so worried. Thankyou

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI Jan245

Sorry you have this dilemma. Teaching is a stressful job and together with moving house, it is understandable that you became overwhelmed. What you need to do is this:

1. Monday morning, first thing, phone your union and explain what has happened. They will advise you regarding the meeting with Occupational Health meeting being held via telephone conferencing and all the other legal things you need to know. Don't agree to anything with the school until you have phoned your union first.

2. In the meantime, please phone the Educational Support Partnership as they also have trained counsellors who will be able to speak to you regarding your situation. Their details are pinned at the top of the Work Place Dilemma forum.

3. Keep following your doctor's advice regarding what you need to do in connection with getting better.

Teachers are not robots. We have feelings and of course you shouldn't have shouted that you hate them, but were they misbehaving? The constant disruption day after day after day can get to the most experienced teacher.

It is definitely not the end of the world. You will get better and either go back to this school or to another one if that is what you want.

The most important thing now for you is to get better.

This may be of no consolation to you whatsoever, but there are many teachers out there on the brink with the stress of being in the classroom. You won't be the first to shout at a class nor the last.

dunnocks likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

exactly what @pepper5 said

many of us have been there

I have never found OT anything other than helpful, but I do know a few others who say differently

Your union will help you decide what the best way forward is, for you.

don't worry, all this will pass!

xx

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Sorry to hear of your situation and as the others have said, you are certainly not alone. Teaching is a highly pressured job and very many of us have experienced emotional outbursts at work.

Occupational health are there to support you. The phone call should go the way you want it to so if you can, talk it through first with a friend or colleague or union rep if you want. Try to work out what you would like to happen next so you can discuss that with OH and feel in control of the situation. You could consider things like:
    - phased return
    - the specific class taken by someone else
    - change in timetable
    - reduced hours
    - team support
    - coaching opportunity

You should be able to discuss these, and any other ideas you might have, with OH and then put a plan together. If you do want to leave, then talk through options with them about when and how. Perhaps you want to discuss potential references so that you don't feel you're closing a door on teaching entirely.

However don't feel pushed into leaving if you'd like to stay and put it behind you. You can get past this. Teachers are human and we make mistakes, say things we shouldn't, miss things we shouldn't, get it wrong etc. It doesn't do any harm to the students to see this but you will want to think about how you (or another staff member) discuss things with them so you can all start again.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

5. Ankermoor

Ankermoor New commenter

I have been off work 6 weeks with personal stress and postnatal depression.
    I was working crazy hours since my return from maternity leave and just got to a point that issues at home caused me to break down.
    After discussing with my gp and health visitor I clearly show signs of post natal depression.

My head has requested I go to oh. Have the meeting this week. Really nervous and completely unsure what to expect.

Any advice?

Many thanks :)

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Ankermoor

You might be better off posting your query on Work Place Dilemmas, as that forum get a lot more traffic.

In the meantime, call your union and seek their advice. They must have a lot of experience with the dilemma you are facing.

Trust you get well soon.

funkyyay likes this.
  7. david_a_heffernan

david_a_heffernan New commenter

Hi there Jan
    We are 2 months on from your original post. How is everything with your situation currently?

Are you back in the classroom or on long term sick? Please feel free to message me if you prefer?

Dave H

pepper5 likes this.