1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Been recommended a Lap or wait and try first- advice please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Harvsie, May 22, 2011.

  1. Hi all

    Ive been reading the posts on this forum for a while now but this is my first post. My husband and I are thinking about ttc early next year. I was referred to the hosp in January as had been having awful pain at the start of my period since May 2010. After several scans they have found two 7cm cysts and think that I have endometriosis. They said they can only confirm the endo with a Lap which they want to book for June. I am unsure of what to do as they have said it is likely i will lose one of my tubes. Do I have the Lap and hope the other tube is clear or ttc for a few months first? Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm finding making a decision difficult. Thanks
     
  2. Hello Harvsie,
    I'm afraid I can't advise you but want to say I am thinking of you and understand this must be a really difficult decision.
    I don't have experience of Lap but have been through IVF. During the waiting and treatment I found this site http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/ really helpful. You will find lots of people going through the same as yourself. Go into their forums and have a look what others have posted even if you don't post yourself.
    Hope that is some help and hopefully someone else will be along who has experienced this. Don't rush into any decision though- June is not very far away and you don't want to rush into something you may regret.


     
  3. Hey Harvsie
    I had a lap for confirm and remove endo a few years ago. It was the best thing I've ever done as I felt like I was coming on every day even when on the pill. Break bleeds were atrocious.
    I can't advise you I'm afraid as I had mine long before we started ttc, but would it be better to solve issues before?
    I totally agree with Sauce as there are some really supportive sites out there as well as this one.
    Good luck x

     
  4. Thank you for replying. I was keen to have the Lap at first because of the pain but after talking it over with my husband I think I'm just concerned that if I have it done and they have to remove one or both of my tubes then I might never be able to have a little one. I just don't no what to do.
     
  5. Forgot to say thank you Sauce for recommending fertility friend. I will have a look at the site. I've been reading up on information about the Lap but everyone on here seem to support each other so well so thought I'd post. Even when we start ttc it will be good to have support from others as from reading other posts it seems to be such a rollercoaster ride.
     
  6. A friend of mine has endo and was encouraged to get on with ttc. She went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies. Are you able to discuss possible options with your GP or someone at the hospital?
     
  7. The consultant at the hospital said to have the Lap but when I went to see GP with my concerns she said to ttc first. That's why I'm so confused. Over the last week my husband and I have been chatting about whether to bring our ttc plans forward but we are due to go to Eygpt in December so were hoping to start after that.
    The pain was slightly less last 2 months so I was more inclined to wait but this month was agony :(.
     
  8. I'm slightly confused - a lap is an investigation - do they mean that depending on what they find they may remove one of your tubes?
    I assume your consultants know that you want to try for a baby - you need to have a discussion with them about the effects on your future fertility on both retaining your tube and losing it. Best of luck with ttc when you get going.
     
  9. The consultant said i would be having a lap and said they would remove the cysts and be able to diagnose endo if I had it. When I saw the consultant I wasnt expecting for him to recommend surgery so was so shocked when he suggested it that I was really upset and didn't ask the appropriate questions. I went on my own to the appointment as was only expecting them to send me away and be told to come back if it got any worse. I told the consultant that were were hoping to try in the new year and he was more determined that I have the surgery before ttc. I was just concerned as wasn't expecting it and don't want to end up with no tubes if things are bad during the lap (he said I have to sign a consent form saying they can remove my tube if necessary) but to be prepared to lose one.
     
  10. Might it be an idea to get a private appointment with him to talk it through properly?
     

Share This Page