1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Been put on an Informal Support Plan...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CallMeJohn, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

If you're teaching a core subject the only way to become bullet proof is to get a TLR role that means you have extra frees. The marking load and dealing with shocking behaviour daily means something will always have to give and they will catch you out on something.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Heehee! Chortling away, Very good!

3. Presleygirl

Presleygirl New commenter

Interesting thread here

4. positiveteacher19

positiveteacher19 New commenter

Good Afternoon all,

As I write on this forum sat on my sofa instead of being at school, I can confirm I have been put on an informal support plan. I am currently off work as this has caused me immense distress. I was off work for two weeks due to a family bereavement and on my return faced with an informal support plan being blamed for something that happened WHILE I WAS NOT PRESENT. Despite since proving that his was no fault of mine and highlighting EXACTLY what did happen. I am forced to "shut up and take it on the chin", and threatened with gross professional misconduct for finding out and having evidence for what DID happen. These are exactly the words used.

I have been teaching for 15 years. My mistake ? I am on UPS3.

Absolute shambles. We are better than this and deserve better.

Before anyone jumps on the "maybe you needed some kind of support" , I refuse to accept this, especially when I have been graded as outstanding during a lesson obs while my family member is laying in hospital dying - and I'm in school delivering a lesson graded as outstanding. Yes - my lesson was outstanding. But this counts for nothing. I am an utterly professional practitioner and I lead by example. I have gained immense respect in school by colleagues and students. I never have behaviour issues and my students learn. I lead school on T&L and have supported colleagues over the years. I go out of my way to help children succeed and I am also well respected by parents.

Health & Family come first. I am quite strong as a character and refuse to accept this support plan. But I know, as I am off, there will be a million and one reasons to justify the support plan because the reason the support plan was triggered in the first place has been point blank disproven. There is probably a frantic process of evidence finding through my books as we speak. Time will only tell. I've been on leadership to know what actually goes on.

I doubt I will ever return to this profession. It's simply not worth it.

By the way. Yes I have a mortgage and kids. My estate agent is now looking to sell my house while I consider what I do next. I am blessed with an amazing wife and kids who are fully supportive as they know just how much I have put into this profession and cannot believe the injustice that many teachers are facing.

Jamvic, Compassman, Shedman and 5 others like this.
  5. positiveteacher19

What about teachers who teach more than reasonable lessons and get more than reasonable results who are put on support plans with targets which make no sense in terms of support ?! The problem we have, is that many cases are SUCH!

6. Presleygirl

Presleygirl New commenter

Speak to the union, let’s see support plane can be for a number of reasons but ...... ups, late forties appear a common practice.
    It’s great if you have been outstanding and it’s a massaive shock to the system. Only you know what the agenda is.

Speak to the union and take there advice

7. Mrsmumbles

Another good un passes out through the Exit From Teaching door. You will earn twice as much tutoring, rest assured.

8. positiveteacher19

How can I earn twice as much from tutoring? ☹️

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

Of course in a sense you are right: no-one has kept statistics regarding the allegedly increasing numbers of older, better paid teachers who are forced out of their jobs by being put on "support" plans.Posts on the TES are merely anecdotal evidence - but are they to be dismissed out of hand?
    There are statistics that do show very clearly that older more experienced teachers are leaving at an unprecedented rate. "
    The workforce appears to be getting younger, as number of older teachers plummets
    Under 30s now make up nearly a quarter of the teacher workforce at 24.9 per cent – compared to 23 per cent in 2010.

The percentage of teachers aged 30 to 40, and 40 to 50, has also risen (see table below) over that time.

But the percentage of teachers aged between 50 and 60 has had the largest change – it’s actually fallen from 21.7 per cent in 2010, to 15.6 per cent last year."
    https://schoolsweek.co.uk/teachers-leaving-faster-than-ever-and-10-other-school-workforce-findings/

It's worth noting that younger teachers come from a different educational background to older teachers in their fifties. There has been massive grade inflation in the last twenty years, including at A level and degree level. For example, about 25% of A level passes are now at grade A and the percentages of firsts has rocketed at many universities. It is arguable that older teachers are better qualified, in real terms, than young teachers.

10. Mrsmumbles

11. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I agree with this totally.

Ok, anecdotal evidence is not water-tight, but it does have some validity. The reason why no national statistics have been compiled on support plans and the ejection of older staff is obvious; it would show a clear trend suggesting age discrimination, and many people would be angry that the most experienced staff have been forced out against their will.

In my case, it was union-related (another common cause). The head of MAT was not a qualified teacher, and he appointed all his mates to run the place, one of whom was an ex-bricklayer with two GCSEs to his name. I complained about unqualified staff doing lesson observations, so, lo and behold, he found one of his few mates who did have a PGCE to rip apart my lesson and deem me needing a support package.

Back on the supply circuit, I can see clear trends with my own eyes. I am often the oldest person in the building, even though I am in my mid-forties.

These new academies don't even have staff rooms, as it probably deemed wrong for staff to sit together and share tales of woe or discontent - so they are designed and built with subject-specific small workspaces.

It probably would not matter, as gone are the days of left-leaning Guardian readers in the staffroom.

Ignorance seems to prevail. One teacher in her twenties was planning a lesson on the birth of democracy, or "demo-cracy", as she called it for PSHE. I was the onlly other adult in the office at the time. She asked me what was meant by "B.C" as "demo-cracy" according to the powerpoint she had downloaded, began in the Greek Empire, "B.C". Not a clue what it meant.

Grandsire, Jamvic, Sally006 and 2 others like this.
  12. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

The last perm job I had (which will be my last teaching job) ended about 3 weeks after it started. I was in my lab prepping for an A level required practical. In wanders an idiot in a suit with delusions of competence. He then sits me down and tells me something like "We have decided to put you on a support plan, but don't worry it's a supportive process". So the time to drop this bombshell is right before doing something that actually matters? I tell him I will need days off to attend job interviews and he looks shocked. I email the head and tell them I'm jobhunting.
    The business manager comes and tries to persuade me that I have misunderstood, and that the lovely, fluffy managers only want what's best for me and the pupils.
    I am less than convinced.
    Over the next few days, I discover that all the new start teachers are on a support plan. Which are all identical by the way. So it appears that the idiot head is merely trying to impress ofsted rather than force me out. I am told directly that I can't have any of the evidence against me, as there isn't any. Why would they need evidence to offer support? Never mind that this is the first stage of capability, and that ends your career. I also meet my mentor. Younger and less experienced than me, not in my subject, patronising. Her plan is essentially lots of targets, extra work and threats if they are not done exactly how she wants. There is nothing I would recognise as supportive. She isn't happy when she asks if her plan sounds good that "I recognise that you have been given the authority to inflict this on me".
    The stress bites. The anger bites more. I have some sick days from stress / rage induced migraines. I resign, and supply beckons.
    I cannot understand how the hell these people ended up in charge. It's insane.

A year later when I am more clinically angry than head thumpingly angry, I put in a GDPR demand for everything they have got against me. Turns out, not a single thing exists. Unless they deleted it all of course. They threatened my families' financial security and my physical and mental health on the basis of no evidence. I am discussing the matter with lawyers now. I suspect that it won't lead anywhere, because the law is written to protect the powerful against the weak. I wouldn't be able to tolerate not pushing it as far as possible.

Thing is, this is one terrible management team in one awful school. But I see this replicated everywhere. I have been in lots of schools over the years, and this is happening everywhere. I have a small child, and I am seriously worried about them going through this tasteless joke of an education system.

13. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

At what point did management segue into corporate bullying? Is the informal support plan another way of saying, 'You don't fit in/ you ask too many questions/ you challenge SLT's wonderful new, non- negotiables (snake oil) too frequently/ you've had time off for WRS/ you're too expensive/ you're too intelligent and experienced to accept all the b***s**t we adhere to/ you won't work 70 hour weeks ?
    All the best, Teslasmate, it's not you, it's them.

14. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

It absolutely is.

Informal support is because SLT have been angered by something you have done or haven't done that goes against their blinkered beliefs.

On an SLT team usually around 5 or 6 typically in secondary schools how many of them are genuinely supportive and a good leader?

In my first school 1 out of 6 was and he got hounded out hismelf.

In my second school again only one member of SLT was a good person and leader. The rest were despicable and bullies.

The Head is actually retiring and I hear from an ex colleague that all the SLT team are applying for it. I couldn't imagine anything other than an ever more toxic poorly run school if one of them was to get it.

15. Mrsmumbles

Very similar experience happened to me three years back. It is deranged. I do not think I will ever go back as I have no respect for these gits and the career and pay portability has gone. Somewhere on the stupidly over the top Teacher Standards it bangs on about constantly self refecting and the need to navel gaze. And they dont want us to transger and be portable as AI will be replacing us all soon anyway! So so many teachers are calling into support lines asking for help to get out or advice on whether to go back in. The only way I thiught you could do it stress free would be to just do supply, but these stories of interference with supply teachers really put me off. I mean, these idiots are dumping on the decent teachers with experience who have, quite altruistically, decided to remain in teaching despite receiving rubbish pay and zero pensions...so..,people they should want to retain...their not grasping why this alienates teachers and encourages more teachers to dropout and lower retention rates...well, if the moronic managers cannot see what they are creating, it all deserves to fail.

Shedman, Teslasmate and agathamorse like this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Agree with you about the students’ futures...get core subject tuition for them from ages 8 and up! At least that way they will get their work marked once a week!

Shedman likes this.
  17. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

My last job. In FE. Very part time. Niche subject. I am only applicant. 35 years successful A Level teaching examiner etc. I discover 12and 13.to be taught together 80%of time. Parents unhappy. Complaint after lesson 1. Year 12 very very poor results at AS taught by hod in previous year.. 6 weeks in observation week. I am only teacher observed in shared lesson. Lesson is RI. I am told it is because i had pupils working in 2 groups and didn't check both often enough. I was told to work like this by Hod after parental complaint. Before i planned same topic with differentiation for 12 and 13. Hod observed me with Slt person who wasPe teacher. I resigned.

18. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

It will probably get a lot worse before anything changes for the better. Brexit is a massive distraction from the chaos in our educational system, which will limp on with increasing staff shortages, masked by unqualified staff being put in front of classes, and , I expect, blatant dishonesty about what is really happening. Exam results will, of course, continue to improve. Massive grade inflation will continue and future job applicants will be bringing their certificates to interviews piled high in wheelbarrows.
    I expect a plethora of "new" BIG ideas ( all done on the backs of envelopes, of course) about how to attract graduates into teaching but there will be no more money overall and older teachers will be squeezed out even more harshly when more and more bribes have to be paid to keep the young teachers from leaving after a year or two
    Expect more brainwave type schemes such as the failed "troops to teachers" stunt .How getting more completely non-qualified people in to teach? They've got great life experience haven't they? How about getting someone who has worked on the till at a supermarket in to teach Maths? They know figures and how to give the right change, don't they? Well what more do you want in Maths?

The pay is so carp that there really isn't anything to retain a young teacher now: unlimited working hours, intensive scrutiny of every move you make and appallingly bad behaviour which is always the teacher's fault-so what is there to like?

19. positiveteacher19

How do I do online coaching/tutoring for China? How do I contact you directly? Is there a private chat option ?

20. Mrsmumbles

There’s nowt to like...even if there was, you could end up 8n an ok sxhool, need to leave for development or location rewsons...and end up in a horrible school and a wrecked life. Not worth the risk. Bin men have less stress. Ours are constantly bantering away as they chuck recycling stuff into their mega truck. Life is too short to card about helping other people, only to have one’s caring colleagues stick the knife in.

agathamorse likes this.