1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been put on an Informal Support Plan...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CallMeJohn, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No. Professor Robert Coe has stated he has had many people contact him after being placed on such such programs.

The evidence of these pages alone is more than enough. I don't know why, but you continually attempt to suggest things are other than they really are. The upsurge in such posts on here over five or so years has been nothing short of phenomenal.

This happens. A lot.

2. Scintillant

These are neither recorded nor kept

The shift in the demographic of the profession and now the resultant shortage of teachers, along with the explosion in cases as reported by unions, academics and teachers, tells you everything you need to know. To deny it, is reminiscent of people denying the evidence for climate change.

What's worse, is that now we don't even have qualified teachers in way too many of our classrooms.

The misuse of capability has been, and continues to be, a blight on teaching, the like of which would never be entertained for a second in a true profession.

ATfan, Anonymouse4 and galerider123 like this.
  3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I think I am correct in saying that Caterpillarbutterfly is based in the private sector.

I am based in the secondary state sector, so I am a fully a witness to the madness, stress and hypocrisy that happens on a daily basis.

I am currently on supply at an academy that "requires improvement". I don't think I have seen a single teacher over the age of thirty, and they have just had a round of redundancies and resignations, some of which involved capabilities. I see a profession in a state of near crisis.

4. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

baxterbasics: I agree that the profession is in crisis. However it is wrong to lay the blame on HTs who implement support plans. Yes, perhaps there are some who may use them as a way of managing staff (badly) - but others use them to support staff who are struggling. In my experience, it is only once a plan is in place that some teachers recognise there is a problem. Note - I am talking about informal support plans, not capability. Support plans should (in my view) mean that no teacher gets to the stage of capability. They should support the teacher to do the job. If, during the support process, it becomes evident that it isn't working, then hard decisions may have to be made - and it is very difficult for everyone. But it cannot be right that when a teacher who is unable to teach reasonable lessons, despite support, we simply say this is the fault of the HT. It wouldn't be good enough in any other profession; it isn't good enough for our children.

5. baxterbasics

So why the massive increase over the past couple of years or so? Please explain.

Are teachers becoming more incompetent en masse, or is a "blame culture" taking over, mixed in with bullying when the stats don't quite add up, or when your face doesn't fit (in "do as we say or else"), or when costs need to be cut in academies more of a likely cause?

I see it as the latter - I see a clear trend.

I see it as another attack on the profession. In most cases the attacks seem quite arbitrary and personal. I have had it happen to - after I blew the whistle on unfair practices in a school it was suddenly found that there were failings in my teaching ability.

Most instances I see seem to involve quite unfair and arbitrary attacks on a teacher.

ATfan, JohnJCazorla and Anonymouse4 like this.
  6. drek

drek Lead commenter

I think it is completely correct to blame the people in charge of resourcing!

Why should one teacher on a completely full contact time table who is given the bulk of students 'with issues' be expected to do the job without support 'staff' due to 'shortages' because a 'lead' staff with less than half a week spent teaching self selected groups of students uses the available support staff to promote their own causes in the school?

It is totally unscrupulous to then use performance management to pick on staff thanks to resource mismanagement.

Schools with behaviour issues can't get support from parents and they expect teachers to hand out the same consequences to all students despite the presence of at least 12 or 13 in each year group who are beyond everyone's control.

If a staff member has been verbally abused by three students per group per day and is expected to ring home do you know what they get? More verbal abuse....3 stuents. X 5 different lessons = abuse from 15 parents a day.

Other public services clearly state abuse will not be tolerated. But people who run schools think it should be part and parcel.....not for all staff....just those they like to then claim need 'expert support'

The system is too corrupt and biased at the moment for fair recognition of those who genuinely need a helping hand and those who are overloaded with teaching responsibilities and the unfair endless thankless admin that goes with that....usually with last minute deadlines imposed by those who should know better.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In my career I have spent:
    4 years in secondary
    8 years in middle
    9 years in primary
    2 years in private prep

So your idea that I don't know what happens because I've not seen it isn't the case.

I haven't suggested that some teachers and some heads do act disgracefully, they most certainly do. I have seen and experienced it, as many here know. But to base an upsurge in the use of a message board as evidence that most heads are vindictive is a nonsense. Or to say that one person doing supply in one school who hasn't seen a teacher they believe to be over 30 is evidence that the entire profession is in crisis is equally nonsensical. There will always be those who say 'my experience was horrid, therefore all schools are horrid', but it doesn't make it true.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was under the impression it was you who asked for a different observer because you didn't want someone without QTS observing you. This is not 'whistleblowing' in any way shape or form. You were not victimised because of whistleblowing.
    A great many posters pointed out to you at the time that you were not treated unfairly, and had asked to be treated differently. It was also pointed out to you, that if you treat SLT with contempt, then they are not going to go out of their way to give you the benefit of the doubt.

While there are plenty of people on here who could legitimately say their current or most recent head was a nasty piece of work who bullies and destroys staff, you (from all you have posted) are not one of them.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. baxterbasics

No, not at all - the latest school merely reinforced my views, it did not determine them.

I spend a lot of time talking to other teachers, both online and in the real world. I have taught in lots of schools for sixteen years and I have seen a clear decline in the status of teachers and staff morale and a massive rise in stress levels. I might have exaggerated to say it is in crisis everywhere, but I am sure that most people would agree that the profession, taken as a whole, is in a pretty dire state.

Mrsmumbles and Alice K like this.
  10. baxterbasics

No, there was a lot more to it than that, in fact. I reported many other issues, which meant that I was targeted, but I cannot mention them here.

And in addition to that, on the issue of observations, any changes should have been made to the whole system as the NUT regional advisor set out, not just directed at me. You don't see such practices as worrying, but the suggestion was made to me that if the staff team decided to strike, the NUT would have offered their support as they were equally appalled by unqualified staff having anything to do with observations or appraisals - in any shape or form. However, I want to move on now from my particular circumstances.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. Scintillant

An upsurge in use of message board teachers desperate for help is indeed a valid way of getting some measure of the extent of a problem. It should serve as an indicator that something is severely wrong and prompt a professional investigation. The unions are reporting it too, and have been doing so for a while. Professor Coe who was intsrumental in getting Ofsted to stop grading lessons has also reported an large increase

The age profile of teachers has changed and older teachers have been managed out.

An anecdote is not a data point. However, a sharply increasing trend in the number of such anecdotes would make any scientifically minded person smell a rat very quickly.

ATfan and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Scintillant

So anecdotal evidence from a vastly smaller population is ok when its your anecdotal evidence?

Cool

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. Scintillant

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I refer you to my previous post! It's about your wage costs, NOT any lack of capability. like me, you probably respected your senior colleagues and find it hard to see them as two faced lying psychopaths, but give it time...It's disgraceful and discriminatory, but to put you under scrutiny for such unimportant rubbish speaks volumes about them. Do tuition instead and earn, on average ten quid a more for less effort. I am now free, free free from: pointless self assessment, observation, target setting, pastoral care and report writing.... and it is blooming fantastic. My lot of SLT fools said I was a 'great teacher' they 'couldn't imagine losing', right up to and including the meeting which was meant to be a return to work one which they hijacked and slapped me on formal in. Total shock as they caught me out and I had no union rep with me to tell them to flick themselves, so do please be careful with them from now on. Formal capability...it's like a sexy silk Senion Mismanagement accessory that you....slip on or off...at a moment's notice, to suit the bullying and fiscal trends of today's fair weather school cultures. And yes, once my lawyers got involved I miraculously came off formal and handed in notice. Because I realised they were vile and untrustworthy bullies. After which, in the final three months, I was, miraculously, suddenly deemed ok and not needing to be aggressively monitored any more. (Those costly emergency supply teachers hired to cover an employee forced out on paid sick leave don't pay themselves, you know. No double costs paid if they can avoid it!) Ah, yes...miraculous, capability, it truly is. It slips on and off in sudden and mysterious ways, like Gove's grubby boxer shorts...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Anonymouse4 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

We have to be 'Brexit-ready' with our school financial planning by 2020! Oh yes!

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Was the teacher you knew that left any of the following:

1) Older and struggling to find time or energy to implement new sexy and mostly unproven teaching styles?
    2) Older and on UPS.
    3) Recovering from surgery or an illness, so they'd been off sick for a brief period and therefore deemed a cost liability by the HT?
    4) Pregnant?
    5) Hired by the former HT so deemed not in with the New Crowd, obviously somehow their inability to time travel being a serious error of judgement....
    6) Bereaved
    7) Depressed
    8) Suffering from workplace stress and overload so possibly defensive for these reasons
    9) More qualified and experienced than their HOD or faculty leader
    10) Not a union member..

Just wondering!

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Totally agree. Often the best teachers are those who are now quitting. I base my evidence in four schools, including the place Iwas at. We surely cannot all be awful.

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

'Nail in the coffin' isn't often just a metaphor, these days. The Tory/Govecademy/ Psycho HT phenomenon IS severely damaging teacher health and some teachers have died as a result of the stress, directly or indirectly. Sickening.

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

It happened to the caterpillar itself, didn't it? Which baffles me. Glad if there actually are genuine support programmes out there, but all the ones I've encountered were definitely rigged. I found stuff proving mine was. The schools haven't any money so a lot are trying to get workforces where most teachers are under 30. Or younger,

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Another stat: former colleague, hugely talented person, ran the ICT division and effectively kept the school running...forced to reapply for job...suits come in...now they do a cheaper less senior version of their former job, the school cannot recruit a cheaper idiot to do their bidding...standards slipping now at the school...the employee has lost confidence, self esteem, developed health complications...oh, and is on less money. Wonderful. In the past three years, 40 out of 120 staff have changed over. A third. It's a brave academy which publicises its staff lists these days!

Anonymouse4 likes this.