1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

been out of teaching 2 years=how do i get bk in??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jlfawc, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HI, i qualified in 2009 and did not do my nqt 1st year, i have been working other full time jobs so i had somewhere to live and do my driving lessons as trying to get a job when i cant drive was hard....i am now settled and can drive and desperate to get back into my dream job teaching in a primary school, however because i have not been in a school for 2 years i am finding it hard and dont know where to start...i have been working in a nursery doing a before and after school club within the last 2 years but this is the only experience reference that counts towards it....as even for supply i need references from the last 2 years.
    Any suggestions or ideas that may help would be extremely appreciated...im just desperate for someone to give me a chance to prove myself.

Thankyou in advance

2. HI, i qualified in 2009 and did not do my nqt 1st year, i have been working other full time jobs so i had somewhere to live and do my driving lessons as trying to get a job when i cant drive was hard....i am now settled and can drive and desperate to get back into my dream job teaching in a primary school, however because i have not been in a school for 2 years i am finding it hard and dont know where to start...i have been working in a nursery doing a before and after school club within the last 2 years but this is the only experience reference that counts towards it....as even for supply i need references from the last 2 years.
    Any suggestions or ideas that may help would be extremely appreciated...im just desperate for someone to give me a chance to prove myself.

Thankyou in advance

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is no point in pretending that it will be easy. It won't. It will be pretty hard.
    There are fewer jobs available. Currently, there is a drop of over 15% in jobs advertised this academic year.
    Some schools have announced redundancies. The White Paper on finding means that there may well be more redundancies in schools.
    Fewer jobs.
    There are large numbers of unemployed teachers. Normally by this term, 90% of last summer's NQTs are on their induction year. For last July's students, it's under half. And one third of those who finished their PGCE in July 2009 are still unemployed.
    Fewer jobs. More people chasing those jobs. The competition is pretty fierce.
    Doing any job that can keep you in touch with children and schools is good. Supply work and TA posts have always been good ways to get back into the stream of things, but unfortunately there are too many unemployed teachers chasing those.
    So that's the doom and gloom.
    But on the other hand, people do make it. They do get jobs. They do return to teaching. You could be one of those.
    But you will need to get back into a school first, so try supply, try working as a TA, and try even doing voluntary work in a school. Without this, the gap since you qualified, with no practical experience as a teacher in the past to fall back on, will put you at a disadvantage.
    Do whatever you can to get back into a school.
    Good luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!