1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been on sick leave but want to move schools

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CareBear84, May 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for some objective opinions and advice. I have been off work sick for the past 6 months, during which I have had 3 kidney operations, I am now back to full health. The cause of my dilemma is that I had always planned to leave my school at the end of this academic year. I am currently working in a special needs secondary school, I am primary trained and desperate to get back to teaching in a primary school. My current school have been very supportive during my illness, but at the same time I am very unhappy there. Do I stay because I feel I owe them something or should I just move on? and if I do move on will it go against me that I have been off for so long?

I'm so confused, please help!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly find appropriate posts you wish to apply for.... Then obtain interview for said post.... Then see if you can get appointed past interview. You don't 'owe' your present school anything, but invariably as you've been out of the classroom for a bit you might lack in some things a future employer will look for on an application form and perhaps be a bit behind on the 'gen' for interview.

3. Having returned to work while off for a long time myself I have some empathy for your situation. Your happiness is paramount and if this school is not for you there will be one out there that is. If there are no ongoing medical issues then there should be no problems, I had a liver transplant and found work quickly. I hope you find what is right for you.

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Given the OP posted nearly 3 years ago I imagine this particular issue has resolved itself!

5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Is that you, scienceteacha? You seem to be a shadow of your former self (see what I did there?)!!

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Indeed! I incorrectly typed in a password (think the keyboard was on number lock or something) 3 times and my e-mail address was registered with a school I no longer work at - hence I am back from the dead!