1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been offered an interview...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by GCML, Jan 20, 2016.

1. GCML

GCML New commenter

I applied for a position at another school earlier in the week, but decided to hold off telling my Head about it until I heard back (mainly because I wasn't sure of how good my chances were at even getting an interview). I've just received an email offering me an interview; obviously I need to email back asap with confirmation that I will attend this interview, but I don't yet know if I will be allowed to go. So do I email back confirmation and then go and speak to my Head first thing tomorrow, or should I hold off replying until I have the go-ahead from my current school? Also, not quite sure how to approach my Head....I want to phrase the request in the right way!

Sorry if the answer to this seems obvious, as an NQT this my first time dealing with this situation!

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, oh dear . . .

Your Head will now have received the reference request and may well be a tiny bit peeved that you have applied without saying anything . . . not courteous, he or she may think.

:(

You'll have to go in tomorrow and throw yourself on his/her mercy, saying that you weren't aware that you should have spoken to the Head first, but having now been told that you are very sorry.

And then you ask very nicely if they will write the reference and allow you to attend the interview.

And of course you don't confirm that you will be attending until you know that you are!

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Then when you have permission to go, come to the Jobseekers Forum (scroll down to find it) and start a thread asking for advice for interview preparation.

Best wishes

3. GCML

GCML New commenter

Thank you for your reply! I definitely didn't mean to be unprofessional about it - everyone I spoke to prior to applying told me that it would be okay to not say anything until I had heard back :( well now i know!

I will go and speak to him first thing tomorrow morning about it and apologise profusely.

Thanks again :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

Read that link to the advice article. ;)

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid everyone you spoke to was entirely and utterly wrong. Who were they - people down Tesco?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Costcutters

Lara mfl 05 likes this.