1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been diagnosed with SPD...struggling to move. What to do about school

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Vitalistics, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

Hello

I was signed off work with work related stress for a couple of weeks. Whilst off sick, I've also gone and developed SPD. I'm almost 6 months pregnant.

I'm due back at work after my work related stress sick note expires and yet, I'm really really struggling to wall. Actually, any kind of movement is completely painful. From the beginning of the day to the end!

I've been referred to the physiotherapist and that referral will likely come through in a month or so.

My classroom is on the top floor and my workplace is pretty tough on duties and meetings.

What would you do? I can't fathom having to stay on my feet all day with this condition. It really is painful. I had it in my last pregnancy too and I was pretty much bed bound.

The gp I saw (new lady) has mentioned a sick note with lighter duties written on but I didn't make her aware of my job a a secondary teacher at the time. Lighter duties won't stop my year 9s from being badly behaved and I'll still be moving around a lot to stop them misbehaving.

I'm really not sure what to do but what I do know is that even standing up, going to the kitchen from the sofa is becoming a painful task. :/

2. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

I do not want work to think I'm using pregnancy as an excuse not to work but I am genuinely in so much pain.
    I almost cried from pain today :/

3. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

It may be worth trying to return on 'light duties' and see how you get on. Make sure that you have an up to date risk assessment that details everything you need in order to enable you to return. I have a friend who had this and was a dance and drama teacher and work were very accommodating to enable her to keep working.

If it was me i would speak to the school and discuss the adaptations i needed to try and make a return possible and give it a go. You could make an appointment with a private physio, i know you will have to pay for it but if the pain is that bad it would be worth it to be seen sooner.

Ultimately it is your decision and you have to do what is best for you.

4. Break_Duty

Break_Duty New commenter

Hi, I had SPD with both my pregnancies and so know how much pain you are in. It is just the worst. I still get flash backs now, I just remember sitting and crying to husband - it will all be worth it though! However, you have three more months to go. . .
    So, I dragged myself in with my first child, in the end on crutches, (which did help) but I wish I hadn't now. Not because there was any long term damage, but just because I wasn't being fair on myself. If you rest it's better and the pain will ease with rest. I remember my doctor telling me that you mustn't 'power through' and that was the best advice. I would suggest just being honest with your school, this is what you can do and this is what you can't - you need to be sitting more than moving. Duties are out of the question - first thing I told the school when it began with my second child. I don't know if this is your first pregnancy, but you being fit and well when baby arrive is so important. My school came before me or my husband before children, but I have a better take on things now. If you'd broken you leg would you feel this guilt?
    Oh and I have physio and I'm sorry to say it didn't make much difference long term.
    I hope I've help, ice packs helped! :)
    Let me know if can help any further. Take care of you and that baby x Oh and do you know what you are having? They say, and this was my experience that it's worse with one gender than then other . . .

5. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I was off long term. I had extreme morning sickness and while off with that developed SPD and eventually preeclampsia too. I got a doctors note with amended hours and light duties. This meant that I was only in until lunchtime each day and teaching no more than three, one hour lessons. I also took my union rep into any meetings when I returned to work. They also sent me for an independent medical where the doctor agreed that I was definitely not fit for work. I was lucky in that I didn’t need to start mat leave early as my doctor was able to sign me fit at the start of the summer holiday and I wasn’t due until the end of September. Baby had other ideas and due to my preeclampsia had to be delivered at 35 weeks in the middle of August. Good luck and remember to take it easy.