1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been diagnosed with DVT and have a blood clot - advice please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by alissl, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. alissl

alissl New commenter

Hello everyone,

Not the best of starts to the New Year, but I was diagnosed with DVT and have a blood clot which is now being dissolved with tablets.

Obviously this is a shock and I wonder how many teachers do the job with DVT?

How long do teachers generally have off and what 'reasonable adjustments' can you request?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have already emailed the Education Support Partnership, asking the same questions?

Thanks,

Aliss

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Sorry you're experiencing this. It must be worrying. Your GP should be able to advise you on what your next steps need to be regarding when to go back to work and what the school can do to help your situation.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You should be tested for factor V Leiden which is a genetic condition. My brother had a clot and is now on thinners and finding he had this led to the whole family being tested. We’ve now established who has the homogeneous form, heterogeneous form and not at all.

For people who have had clots, you have to avoid contact sports, take thinners on long haul flights and avoid sitting still for long periods, but you have just as much life expectancy. It is about lifestyle changes really and understanding which situations introduce risk. Any future situation which involves bleeding (operations) raises the risk and so doctors introduce extra thinners during procedures. You shouldn’t intervene in a fight or be expected to attend long meetings or events which involve sitting down still for extended periods. Could be a bonus that!

alissl likes this.
  4. alissl

alissl New commenter

5. alissl

alissl New commenter

Thanks - I have an appointment with my GP next week, I am presuming that the hospital will have updated her

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I had a nasty episode last year when I became very breathless. It turned out I had had a dvt and 2 blood clots lodged in my lungs! I spent 17 days in hospital (compounded by the situation that I was a week on an overspill ward before being moved to a respiratory ward) I was placed on blood thinners. The problem was they were not sure whether to place me on the more modern 'apoxyban' which apparently has no antidote or Warfarin which does. As I had had a brain haemorrhage in 2011 I ended up on warfarin which entails at least initially regular visits to INR clinic.Mine has been complicated as my levels remained well over the desired 2 to 3 range. Just as it did seem to be stabilising I had to get it down to 2.5 so the physio dept would give me a cortisone injection in my thumbs.... and the lowest result I achieved was 2 .7 so despite the intervention by the INR clinic nurse they wouldn't do that procedure :( So I am now back on a roundabout of them fiddling about with the dosage to get the result spot on ....

I did have a vascular appointment and scan on the veins in my legs the outcome of which surprised me as it was not the left leg which I had suspected as I admit I did ignore a swelling on the above the knee varicose vein I have - the clot originated in my right leg which was a surprise. The better news was that my veins were not as bad as I feared and despite a dreadful family history of them, I do not need any procedures on them ! It might be worth asking whether you could have this vascular scan to have the veins checked out...... My problem is that because of the osteoarthritis I have very painful joints and moving about hurts so I recognise I am inactive. I try to do ankle rotations/movements regularly to avoid inactivity( similar to what you would do on a long distance flight) I fully recognise my days of flying to the USA or further afield are over - my travel insurance would be prohibitive even of they would offer it.

7. alissl

alissl New commenter

Thanks, that's helpful to know about the testing.

Maybe I should mention about the meetings in my return to work.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Oh yes, and no long journeys on coaches either. Got to find the bonuses for this one. And you should not be doing any duty where someone or something could collide with you. Bruising is bleeding you see.

alissl likes this.
  9. alissl

alissl New commenter

I would like to find teachers who have DVT and teach - but can't seem to find any!

10. alissl

alissl New commenter

Thanks for your reply. That must have been very scary for you. Luckily mine was caught in time so I didn't have complications with PE. I'm on blood thinners now.

So, are you teaching right now? Or have you had to have a break from it/ time off?

11. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

I suffered with a series of DVT's and a massive pulmonary embolism which literally ripped through my heart and rested on my lungs. I was off work for 7 1/2 months due to the scarring in my lungs.

Whilst I still have scarring on my leg, which emotionally and mentally have taken me a long time to come to terms with (namely PTSD as I nearly died) the actual DVT isn't something that you should need to consider.

As already mentioned, they may test for Factor V which for me was positive and they may offer you anti-coag therapy, but then again with only a DVT they may decide this isn't necessary.

Think about lifestyle factors mentioned above to alleviate risk... also (not sure if its applicable sorry) mine was attributed partially to the pill. It was one of several factors, but something to consider maybe.

So in short, once the clot has dispersed you are pretty much good to go - just consider those lifestyle factors.

All the best,
    WM