1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been AHT on a TLR - is this right?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by beershop, Jul 8, 2011.

1. beershop

beershop New commenter

As subject really. We haven''t have a deputy as from January so myself as KS1 leader and the KS2 leader took on the role as Assistant Headteachers. The school does not have a deputy and we probably won't for a couple of years now, just run with us as AHTs. we have divvied out the role of DHT between us equally.
    Didn't mind my pay this year, although it was the £2000-odd TLR which seemed meesly on top of my M6 pay.
    Have now gone through threshold and from september would be U1. Having had a brief comment from the head I thought we'd be going onto the leadership scale as this is now a permanent placing, whether we get a deputy or not now. But I saw my pay change thing yesterday and it says I'm going onto U1 with TLR2b, which seems to be a little pointless. I have no ide how much a TLR2b is.
    The other AHT is higher up the scale than me, probably U2 or 3 I would have thought. So he is technically getting more money than me for the same job exactly. I think they worked out that for him to benefit from going on the leadership scale we'd have to be further up the leadership scale for us to be getting the same benefits, which the school maybe thought was too expensive.
    Basically, from what I've seen, AHTs should be on the leadeship scale. What do you all think?
    Thanks!

2. Yes you should be on the leadership scale if you are an assistant headteacher.

3. bnm

bnm

Does your contract say assistant head teacher?
    Were you interviewed and appointed for the post of assistant head teacher?
    Assisting the head is not the same as assistant head teacher.

4. beershop

beershop New commenter

Yes, I am contracted as AHT. It was not interviewed for as such, but went through HR at the LA, as we were unable to appoint a deputy so we stepped up. Sept will be the official start of the role as a contracted position. This pay thing I saw was stipulating my role and my pay.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The only posts on SLT which have officially recognised t & c are headteacher and deputy headteacher. Any other posts can be called whatever the head/governors want them to be and can be paid what they decide - there is no officially recognised post of AHT, so it is untrue to say that if you're called AHT you must be paid on leadership.

6. Middlemarch

PS - that your colleague is on higher pay for 'doing the same job' is not an issue - many schools have AHTs and DHTs who are paid at different points, because one is more experienced than the other(s).
    It's a bit like saying all classroom teachers should be paid on the same point because they're 'doing the same job'.

7. beershop

beershop New commenter

Thank you.
    That's interesting because I was getting all bee-in-my-bonnet having read the STP&C document, para 15 or 16 where is says about AHT pay having to be at least 5 points above the highest paid teacher on UPS1 +TLR.
    Am confused but happy to take the pay as it is if that's whst the school are allowed to do!
    [​IMG]

8. I'm AHT and I'm not on the leadership scale. I'm UPS2 and get a TLR for it in addition (TLR 1).

9. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

I was asked to be AHT from September but with no Leadership Scale or TLR, just ordinary UPS pay. I thought this was unfair so decided not to take up the role. We will not be having a Deputy next year either - HT has asked me to cover whilst she is not in school - not sure about this either. I don't want to be obstructive to school (I carry out many other whole school responsibilities and lots of 'over and above') Perhaps I'm being unreasonable - should covering for an absent HT be a part of UPS expectations. Your views would be appreciated.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

You are not and it should definitely not be.

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

not so, MM, it's in the STPCD and para 6.3 tells us:
    An assistant head teacher must be paid such salary based upon the leadership group pay spine set out in sub-paragraph 4 as the relevant body determines in accordance with paragraph 15.

12. beershop

beershop New commenter

See, that's the bit I saw in there and is the bit I may well have to show to headteacher tomorrow. Guess it can't hurt. They already think I'm a pain for taking sick leave in the last 10 days of term and consulting my union about it, and going on strike. So this would be the next thing I guess!
    From what I can see, I am assistant head so should be on leadership scale, not UPS1 plus TLR2.

13. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Have you calculated what you would actually earn? You <u>could</u> be put onto the leadership scale at point 1.
    Assuming your future TLR (2b) is more than &pound;3,500 you would actually get less if you went onto point 1 of the scale than if you stayed on UPS1 + TLR2b.

14. beershop

beershop New commenter

Yeah, that's right. I saw my pay today. My TLR2b is &pound;4226. What I originally thought was quite juicy was that in order for the other assistant head to be on the leadership scale same as me, we'd have had to both be further up the Leadership scale, as in L5 or something I think. This would have greatly benefited me but obviously he can't go down in salary for getting a better position!
    Checked with office today about this and she said they worked it out carefully and did spreadsheets, the lot! Then they asked HR at the LA and they said this would be fine. What is quite naughty is that the Head had told us this would be permanent, when we get a deputy even, cos the school will be bigger by then, but we're not going onto permanent contracts this year, as we both thought we would be! So we're still Acting job-share Assistant heads, on temp basis. Cheeky really, but they get away with paying us both less, although yes, I'm better off for now it seems.
    I also mentioned to them that it may make it easier for me to move forward to other schools, as I won't be tied only to Leadership roles.
    Anyway, thanks again, all sorted I think!
    [​IMG]

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

That's just plain wrong Middlemarch. AHT professional responsibilities ("t&c") are set out in para 58/p 104 of STPCD 2010 - they're effectively the same for AHT and DHT other than the responsibility to cover for HT which is only in DHT. Original questioner has already pointed to the answer about salary, ot's dealt with in paras 15 and 16/pages 46 - 49 of STPCD 2010 and para 16.1.2 expressly states that AHTs MUST paid on the leadership scale. AHTs who've said they are not being paid on the leadershiop scale should consult their union and challenge their position immediately.

16. Middlemarch

I wasn't aware that had changed, RW. Nonetheless, I can see how primary schools might not be aable to afford leadership and would simply change the title if anyone challenged it, given that AHTs do not carry powers greater than someone on a TLR.

17. As already pointed out AHTs can be on different spine points ( and have different ranges ) so putting you on point 1 doesnt have to reduce the other teacher's pay. Also note that AHT pay must be above the highest classroom teacher pay - bizarely calculated as being Based on Highest tlr paid plus ups1. (dont understand why ups2 and ups3 ignored)