1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Been 12 years since last interview! What sort of questions will I be asked?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by angibaby33, May 10, 2020.

1. angibaby33

angibaby33 New commenter

Teaching for 18 years! Its been 12 years since my last intervew for a HOD position which I held for 4 years. I gave this up to to become a regular teacher on a part-time basis after starting my family. I have worked part-time with many extra days supply for the last 6 years which suited me with the flexibility. I have been invited to interview for a full time teaching position in another authority and I'm doing my utmost to prepare myself for interview this friday coming. I have worked throughout the UK/Channel Islands/New Zealand. I have held Acting Head of Humanities and HOD Geography promoted positions.Tons of experience in many different settings but so long since I have had to actually attend an interview. Interview is 3 person panel, via skype. Any ideas what I'm likey to be asked? I traditionally do well in interviews... I'd imagine I have been invited to interview based on experience? What types of questions am I likely to be asked? I don't want to become unstuck with, 'describe your holistic views of attainment challenged pupils' kind of nonsense!!! Any advice or information very much appreciated?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They will begin, I hope, with questions to make you feel at ease. I always ask candidates to talk about a success, so that they feel more confident when that has been discussed. They often ask "A professional success, or something outside school?". I tell them either, but although I don't say so, I do prefer a professional one, and one that I could see relating to my school.

Apart from that, you will definitely get one or more questions on Child Protection and Safeguarding. However, they won't say "Now here is the CP question", you'll have to recognise it. :) So dig out your CP&S training notes - you must have some from the sessions in September in various schools.

Hopefully you'll not get a cleverclogs asking for holistic this and challenged that. But the things that you spoke of in your application may be asked, and specific things relating to what the school needs and believes in.

Practise using the software they are going to use, so you are familiar with it, and get somebody to tell you how to sit relative to the screen so that you give a good impression. Usually with the laptop or tablet on top of a large dictionary or two is best, so you aren't crouching over looking down. More advice on Skype interviews, and indeed general advice tips, HERE.

Fingers crossed for you for Friday! Keep safe everyone

ACOYEAR8 and agathamorse like this.
  3. angibaby33

angibaby33 New commenter

Thank you for providing this information, it will be really useful. Feeling more confident the more I am prepeared for interview can only try my best! Much appreciated!

TheoGriff likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Get a copy of the latest Ofsted Report. Look up the sch/ dept results on the Dfe website. Make yourself aware of the typical intake too of the school .

Some potential Questions-

1 What makes an effective leader?
    2 What’s the difference between management and leadership?
    3 (Scenario question) You have a member of staff who isn’t marking books and underperforming. Go through what you would do.
    4 ( Data in some schs) Having seen last year’s results tell us what your action plan is.
    5 (Safeguarding) A pupil tells you some information to keep to yourself . What do you do?

5. angibaby33

angibaby33 New commenter

Thanks for your information. I am Scotland based so no Ofsted! This is for teaching position not promoted post!

6. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Think about where your camera is. If you’re looking at their eyes on the screw, you are probably looking downwards, or off to the side, not always a good look. Try to look at the camera, rather than them, so that it looks like you are looking directly at them.

ETA: sorry wrong thread. This was meant for the online interview thread!

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, the chances are that it will be online, so very appropriate on this thread too!

Keep safe, everyone

BetterNow likes this.
  8. BetterNow

I’ve been quoted by @TheoGriff <faints> I have your books! :D

(Ps I meant screen, not screw).

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry I can't sign them for you on your Kindle or tablet! But I'll write a dedication:

To BetterNow, who after nearly 20 years of careful posting (172 posts which have received 380 Likes) on the TES Community website, has now said that s/he has bought my books on applications and interviews. Wishing you all the best, BetterNow.

That do you? ;) I jolly well hope that you have reviewed them on Amazon!

Keep safe, everyone

BetterNow likes this.
  10. BetterNow

:D:D:D Absolutely! (And I got the job!). <Goes off in a happy bubble>

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, big congratulations, @BetterNow !

I am delighted that reading my books helped you get the job.

May that new job be the very best job ever for you!

baee7d789ce0a5724025683d7eb99ce1.png

BetterNow likes this.