1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beef without cows?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Oct 25, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

An interesting article.
    I think I would rather encourage people to eat more veggie meals - and then enjoy a little 'real' meat from time to time.
    Practically however, I can't see that happening. people are going to demand their meat - at least twice a day in my brother's case, preferably three times! (He enjoys my veggie bake but likes a couple of thick sausages with it!)
    And would this test-tube meat be any worse than the chemically removed ersatz-meat in cheap nuggets and burgers?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd just be worrried it wouldn't taste of anything, with no real exercise (other than the faked exercise mentioned in the book, and also the lack of real food that can make such a difference. Pastured cows do taste so much better than grain-fed ones.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Thankfully, it's unlikely to be perfected within my lifetime, but it goes to show the extent they will go to to produce synthetic food. I think it's more proof that I was born at the right time, that is, in addition to being born after penicillin was discovered and sowing my wild oats before AIDS.

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Two words:
    Soylent Green
    A much simpler and more cost effective option which would ultimately save the planet through reduction of over population, and provision of a food source for the rest of humankind.......[​IMG]

6. That and Logan's Run came to mind when I read this.... speed up the reductive process.