1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beef Stock Queries

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 2, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Egg white, I'll check in my books.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. I would roast the bones - it gives a much darker, richer stock. Removing the marrow first won't make a huge difference to the taste if you roast the bones and slow cook the stock (I simmer mine for a good few hours even after removing the bones - I remove the bones earlier to prevent them turning to glue [​IMG])
    I also clear the stock with egg whites.
    I don't always roast the bones first, but if you are having a big stock making session and have all those bones at your disposable, I would certainly recommend roasting first. It is a bit more work now but you won't regret it when you are trying to whizz up a yummy meal with a new baby in the house which has turned your cooking routine on its head [​IMG]

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

If you have any fat on the top, the easy way to remove it is to run an ice cube over the top.

5. Or put a slice of bread on top of the stock - the bread will soak up the fat (flip over so both sides soak, you may need more than one slice of bread).
    You can then either fry it and have a naughty snack, or leave it to set and put it out for the birds ;-)
    Or just leave the stock to cool and then scrape off the set fat from the top with a spoon - (I am getting into that "feel like teaching someone to suck eggs" mode as I am sure nick knows all of this!)