1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beef and Ammonia

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I was dismayed that the H+S wombat came out to play - ammonia treatment is vital for safe meat??
    On what planet?

And, sorry nick, but during the BSE crisis Climber was at Holyhead and the Welsh farmers were incensed that Irish beef was not banned so they threw a consignment into the harbour.
    Climer was somewhat amused to see a box with the golden arches break open, its advertising 100% meat slogan clearly visible, and what could only be udders floating across the water!
    We have never been so glad we don't do fast food!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeed. And again, good reason to make as much food at home from scratch as I can. I don't ever buy burgers, always make them myself, and would never buy ready meals.............ever! I've been showing Mr Belle that it's cheaper and tastier to make tomato sauce from onion, garlic, herbs and a tin of (good quality) chopped tomatoes, rather than buy a 'fresh' tomato sauce from the supermarket.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I often get the Donald Russell burgers as part of a deal and they are good, especially the mini ones!
    I have only had MacD's once or twice and didn't like them!!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I remember watching Jamie Oliver prepare 'chicken nuggets' on TV - I didn't recognise the gloop he was using as chicken!
    I make my own burgers - and rather delicious they are too! I have heard good things about Donald Russell and may have to look at their website! Honestly, if anyone tastes a 'proper' burger how can they ever go back to McDs? (I still shudder at the memory of that Fillet-O-Fish I had once...I had visions of something approaching a fish finger sandwich,.....I was wrong!)...then again, it's not that long ago that my nephew didn't even want to taste my burgers unless they tasted like a McDs burger (but then he was in a teenaged strop!)