1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BEd placement - don't want to go back

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tired98, Feb 12, 2019.

1. tired98

tired98 New commenter

Hi, I'm looking for some advice

I'm currently a week and a bit into my second year BEd Primary Education placement and I don't want to go back

The school is ok but my mentor and class are terrible. Behaviour of 80% of the class is appalling. I'm not learning anything from my mentor in terms of teaching or behaviour management. She doesn't guide me through planning, ignores my questions and then seems annoyed at me. I taught my first lessons in there this week and she constantly interrupts me while I'm teaching, undermines me in front of the class and suggests my lesson is pointless.

I come home nearly everyday in tears wondering how I'm going to get through 8 weeks of this. I'm dreading my observations, especially from university.

I've had such a positive experience leading up to this, I love university and I had a good placement last year (although I was very tired and fed up by the end of it). Now I'm so early on into this placement and it's making me think whether I want a job where I have to work all evening and weekend planning, putting up with bad behaviour and getting no praise or satisfaction at the end of the day.

I wonder whether I've had an easy ride so far, just doing the odd lesson but maybe I'm not up for the practicalities of teaching.

My family are understanding but keen for me to see it out. I don't even know if I want to be a teacher anymore.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and tell me it gets better? :(

Thank you

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

If I were you, I would ask the university what your options are for transferring to another course, perhaps in education studies. It would be a shame and quite difficult to start another degree from scratch.

There's a big, bright world beyond teaching.

Good luck.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Do you have a mentor at uni that you can talk to about this? Or someone on the course team?

If you feel the school mentor is undermining you and not being helpful then uni can perhaps give advice, or come and observe you to see if they agree with the comments the mentor is making, or even move you to another placement if need be.

As for behaviour and workload, these are the realities of teaching. In a supportive school you can get some help with these things, but in an unsupportive school it will always be a struggle.

How are your peers doing on the course? Have they had similar experiences? Can you talk to them for support?

What happens after your 8 weeks at the school, do you have a different placement? If so, your next placement could be the complete opposite - supportive mentor, wonderful behaviour, or at least advice on how to manage behaviour. Would that make you feel differently about teaching?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. tired98

tired98 New commenter

Thanks for your responses

I'm going to contact a lecturer at uni about it and hope my mentor will be more supportive.

It would be a shame to start a new course from stratch as well as not having any funding for it. I'm leaning towards not wanting a career in teaching but trying to finish my degree anyway to minimise the loss.

I've tried talking to my peers but they all seem to be very happy in nice schools.

My next (and final) placement will be next year. If that was a better environment it would make day to day life more bearable but I'm still not sure if it's worth the stress and lack of free time.

Thank you for the advice, suppose I've got to try and get through the next 6 weeks x

agathamorse and blueskydreaming like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Have you read through the schools behaviour management policy?

Have you taken any time yet to go and look at behaviour management on other classes (especially if you're in more than a one form entry)?

The planning/lesson delivery sounds like it could use better communication between you and the CT although this requires effort on their part too. I wouldn't give up just yet. Part of teaching (most jobs) is learning to find ways to get along with colleagues you otherwise would have no reason to talk to.

Also, don't focus on getting praise for anything (not just teaching) else you'll be disappointed more often than not. Do it for you and if the praise comes then that's a bonus

6. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

8 weeks is not so long but it can feel.like an eternity in a bad school placement. I'd say if you've enjoyed your course up to now then it is probably worth continuing and trying to find something positive in the experience even if it is only helpful in defining the kind of school you don't want to work in! Teaching isn't easy but does usually get better.