1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bed, carpet, kitchen sink, etc.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:24 AM.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

How common is it for new expat teachers to be expected to pay for furniture and fittings? Is this a peculiarly UAE thing? I have not heard of it happening anywhere else. Giving a new teacher the key to an empty apartment and then telling them to go to IKEA seems to me to be a strange (and rather unpleasant) way of welcoming new staff.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I guess if you're recruiting experienced teachers from elsewhere who might be shipping their own furniture, then maybe it might work - but it does seem strange.

If I were a cynic, I might say that it would be a way of trapping a teacher further and preventing them doing a runner - you're less likely to do a moonlight flit if you have spent money on furnishing your own apartment.....

3. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

We moved into a school apartment and it had all the basic furniture; the only thing we really needed to buy was pots and pans. However, the furniture was not to our (or anyone's it seems) taste, so we replaced a few bits, but that was our choice. We then had a good set of furniture items to move into our new flat the following year, so it worked out well for us.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

In my experience schools that provide a certain amount of furniture and kitchen equipment do it to be helpful. Although, as lolly77 says, it can be a mixed blessing in terms of quality and style. Its a bit like putting milk, tea, coffee etc in the fridge for new arrivals.

Some schools do go a bit over the top though, I worked at one school that provided everything, apartment, furniture, kitchen equipment etc. I got called by the HR department one day to come down and pick up some stuff that had been missed in my apartment, It turned out to be a sugar bowl and milk jug from my complete dinner service!!!

On the other hand, however, I have also suffered the problem that the legendary one mentions; i.e. find your own apaprtment and they are all unfurnished - btw you are on your own!!!

5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I don't know anyone here in AD who has been given an unfurnished apartment by their school but obviously if you get an allowance you may choose to rent unfurnished or furnished.

I moved into an unfurnished place and it wasn't a big deal, I got a bed, sofa, dining table, coffee tables, tv cabinet and bedside tables from IKEA - ordered online and they delivered and assembled them inside a week. A fridge freezer and washing machine from Lulu took 48 hours to be delivered and installed and the whole lot cost me less than 5,000AED which was less in sterling than it is now - around £800 iirc.

Disappointing if schools are doing that but far from the end of the world in my opinion.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I've only known it for cases where the school gives an allowance and teachers choose their own housing. Obviously then it's up to the teacher to rent something furnished or unfurnished as they choose.
    With school-provided housing, I've only ever experienced that the schools furnish them. Not to everyone's taste perhaps, but functional.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  7. Shortandsweet

Shortandsweet New commenter

I do live in the UAE and we were indeed given a loan by the school and shown to the nearest Ikea.
    It wasn’t the easiest of starts!

8. Shortandsweet

Shortandsweet New commenter

Oh and I cane from the UK with a family. Didn’t realise it was unusual until talking to other teachers...

9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Oh wow... Sounds like a nightmare for some. Loans???

The only thing I (and the other teachers) had to purchase were hangers from Ikea. Literally everything else were supplied (down to the sink sponges) were supplied by the school including a stocked fridge and pantry with the basics.