1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bed advice

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by leeds28, Apr 3, 2012.

1. My LO is 18 months and no.2 is due in September. He is tall for his age, and needs to make way for the new baby [​IMG] and has about 20cm left in his cot (not a cotbed). Ideally I'd like to get him in his own bed by October but need a bed that is quite low (was just going to buy a single bed) Should I just get a mattress to begin with, and then get a frame when he's bigger. There's even more of a minefield with beds than cots!

2. My LO is 18 months and no.2 is due in September. He is tall for his age, and needs to make way for the new baby [​IMG] and has about 20cm left in his cot (not a cotbed). Ideally I'd like to get him in his own bed by October but need a bed that is quite low (was just going to buy a single bed) Should I just get a mattress to begin with, and then get a frame when he's bigger. There's even more of a minefield with beds than cots!

3. Both my girls (dd1 is now 12 and dd2 is 2) just moved into normal single beds at around 18 months and we put a bed guard up.The bed guard lets them climb out around the end, but they don't fall out when they wriggle. Dd2 seems to spend most of the night with her face pressed up against the mesh on the bed guard.

4. Yes mine were all in beds about that time. I used to put a thick quilt down so if they slipped out they didn't hurt themselves too much. sometimes they didn't even wake up!!
    Actually I think the bed was safer than the cot as at least two of mine had Houdini tendencies and had learned to scale the side of the cot and throw themselves over the side in a bid to escape!

5. I'd recommend you get him settled in plenty of time before his new brother or sister comes along; we put our daughter in her own room at 18 months and her brother was born when she was 20 months. We too put cushions by the side of her bed but she didn't actually fall out! Just her feet did and we turned her back round when we went to bed. You'll have enough to deal with as a new mum of two little ones so best to get his sleeping sorted while hes still the only one!

6. Thanks everyone! He's in his own room, we just need the cot for the new baby in September (or perhaps later) got to try and squeeze the cot back into our room at some point! I think we'll buy a bed for him in May half term so he's got a few months in it before the little one arrives.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You can get bedguards. It would prob be easier just to put him straight in a bed with one, saves any messing, plus bedguard may stop him using his newfound freedom to wander into your room!

8. morning star

morning star New commenter

My 3 all went into a low bed with a bed guard as that was what we had. My friend put her toddler onto a futon on the floor - I suspect that that is what i woul do if I had to do it all again.

Which I am not going to do.

Ever.

9. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Butlersdog we are not finding your advice helpful or learning from you! Please stop spamming on our threads.

10. Especially as they don't even make sense half the time!