1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming Self Employed

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by joy e, Jun 24, 2019.

1. joy e

joy e New commenter

Can anyone advise on when a tutor has to become self employed? If a tutor earns less than the annual tax allowance and is not in any paid employment is this necessary? If you join an agency does this have to be added to any tax form? How soon after you start some tuition should you consider yourself as self employed?
    Thanks

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

You need to declare yourself self employed no matter how little you earn. It's quite straightforward
    You can start whenever you like after you've registered
    You need to fill in a tax return I think it's the following year telling them your income and expenses so if you pay an agency (there's no real need to be doing this ...) then that's an expense to declare

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Don't forget that if you are self employed, you can earn up to £1,000 per year tax free. If you do that, you can't claim expenses, so it is ideal for people like me who don't use an agency.

Informant likes this.
  5. Informant

Informant New commenter

As of 6th April 2017, if you're a sole trader with income from your business of under £1,000 a year, then you don't have to register for Self Assessment with HMRC, or pay tax on your business income.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

True, although I think one needs to note that this is £1,000 income rather than profits. I am also not sure whether you can pay voluntary Class 2 NI contributions to boost your state pension if you don't register for Self Assessment.

I registered my tutoring business pretty early. It is very easy to do my annual returns.