1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming chair of governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Beagleboy, May 11, 2015.

1. Hello all,

First post to this forum. I've visited a few times.

I'm a co-opted governor in a secondary school. After my first year of being a governor I became vice chair (joint) and also a committee chair. I'm now in a position where the chair of governors is going to be stepping down and I've been asked if I'd be interested in becoming chair.

I think I'd be classed as a keen governor. I've done a fair amount of training provided by the LA, got myself involved in meetings and also done HT performance management, complaint hearings, Ofsted etc.

My school has had a bit of a difficult time. It has had 2 x RI's in Ofsted, brought in a new head who has undertaken some good reforms and has a committed staff dealing with pupils who don't always have the greatest attainment & behaviour. Everyone is working hard to improve but there presumably is always the threat of special measures in the background.

I suppose my hesitation over whether to consider standing for CoG is the volume of work involved and if I could hack it. I'm 33, work full time, have 3 small children, my wife is a teacher working PT in another school and I'm concerned I'd be taking too much on.

I'd welcome any thoughts on this.

Thanks

BB

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You seem to have the right credentials to become chair including dedication and lots of passion. As chair you will need to be able to lead a large and diverse group of individual governors. You need assuming you have a good team in place to lead that team effectively and have a great relationship with your head.

The real crunch comes when a governor discovers how much work and time they need to put into the role of being chair, which is what you are doing now. As a chair myself in full time working it has been at times very difficult, but the rewards and returns have been worth it and my employment has fortunately allowed me to do it.

Given my time again and if offered (you would still need to be lawfully voted in as chair) the opportunity to chair, I would unhesitatingly take the position because you can effect so much of the life chances of your pupils, but one thing I would do differently is work smarter and more efficiently to make the workload more manageable. You might also like to post your question on ukgovernors.ork.uk where you will get many more answers and assistance.

3. staxis

staxis New commenter

I would echo what montiagh has said. You do have the right background to do the job. I successfully balanced being Chair, a full time job, and being a husband and dad. It is a lot of work but it is also very rewarding. At times it relied on having and understanding employer, for example needing to get out of work at short notice because OFSTED are coming.

Are you taking too much on? Only you can answer that - but it can be done successfully.