1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

becoming an OFSTED inspector

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by leavinglondon, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

That is a good document on the last post- the competencies are still the same even if it is dated
    I dont think this thread can go much further on the subject, but what i can do is post any updates/vacancies i get for the agencies I work with -just for info they are Tribal, CfBT, Nord Anglia, Protocol,
    Nord for example has just asked for people to undertake inspection work in the Middle East (not necessarily trained inspectors)
    It pays to check agency sites regularly if you are interested. Also the part of the TES which is"general" is where agencies advertise for inspectors/consultants

2. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

See - no response. You've all gone to Tuscany, while us Ofsted inspectors are still hard at it! ;)

3. And just how long have you been teaching! I wouldnt employ anyone under 50.Ofsted should be a post where wise words of advice can be passed on.....I hope it isnt seen as an escape from "vocation"? If you woudnt mind stating.

4. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

50 (and depressed, but thats another story) teaching 25 years and still teaching, as well as inspecting. Loads of people do it

5. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Seriously though. I'd be interested to know a bit more evidence/opinion of north/south teaching and management standards.

Its a fact that many of the 'better' colleges are in the north, but that could be a lot to so with pay/house prices and the fact that its difficult to make ends meet in the south on a lecturer/teachers pay.

It can be a sought after job in the north and attracting the right calibre candidates, whereas in the south they'll take anyone the can get in my experience

6. Go for it Zinzan...and cheer up!

7. with the "new slimmed down" ofsted I suspect there are a lot of people trained under the previous system chasing these jobs. Inspections used to last a week and every teacher was watched for a lesson so there must have been some redundancies.

8. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

You're right there is less inspection work to do. More full time inspectors are doing 'survey work' or thematic reports. Several inspectors particulalry those from the former ALI and CSCI are leaving due to general dissatisfaction with the regime and several are just plain old.
    Work will continue and recruitment will continue, but there may just be changes in the types of work. New government?? - who knows??

9. It's a while since this thread was running but I hope someone will be able to help me.
    I also would like to become an Ofsted inspector (I'd be the nice one!) and I am in the process of writing a job application.
    If anyone has any pointers to give me as to what to include in my statement, that would be very useful.
    If I am lucky enough to be invited to attend an interview, does anyone have any idea of the type of questions which I'm likely to be asked?
    Many thanks
    Jackie

10. weezadance1

weezadance1 New commenter

Thank you for starting this thread, and particularly, thank you zinzan. I would LOVE to be an Inspector; I think it looks really interesting. As SLT I have done joint observations with Inspectors and always felt that their perspective is very skilled.
    Unfortunately I have only been in my current post since September so moving in the near future would not be a good idea, but I will continue to watch this thread and take on board zinzan's advice. At present I don't know anyone who is an OFSTED Inspector so I would be interested in getting zinzan's contact information if that's possible?

11. Read Mystery, Deceit and a School Inspector by Bryony Allen. Its set under Primary School but i think that is imaterial, an Ofsted inspector is an Ofsted inspector!! [​IMG]
    I don't post as a rule since as i'm usually browsing for jobs!! Saw this thread and couldn't resist piping up though[​IMG]

12. ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:

- Not too attached to your soul.
    - Complete lack of awareness of what really goes on in Schools
    - Pavlovian obedience (Happy to peddle whatever ridiculous diktat the government comes up with next).
    - Good at seeing the negatives in things.
    - You enjoy wielding power over others.
    - You will probably prefer crunching numbers to interacting with human beings.
    - You've tried teaching, weren't really very good, and want the opportunity to improve your self-esteem by reducing other peoples'.
    - You have a real talent for thinking inside the (tick) box
    Think that about covers it! [​IMG]

Abolish Ofsted - Sign the online petition:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/AbolishOfsted/

13. So, I take it basic literacy isn't a requirement then?

14. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

corect

15. .....but not prepared to tell people when they are doing their job as well as they could. I do take your point that Ofsted are excellent at pointing out mistakes. It's a shame they aren't as good at supporting people with resolving them.

Indeed, Ofsted are renowned for being at the forefront of pedagogical thinking. Especially where this involves obsessing over statistics and providing a monogogical model for teaching that surpresses creativity and discourages deviation from a rigid set of norms. Oh thank you Ofsted for such inspiration!
    ..... nor are you prepared to say 'yes that's fine', when in actual fact it is, because in your eyes nothing is ever good enough, and we must cling to the illusion/dellusion of exponential growth ad infinitum.
    ... and an even great shame that you can't bring yourself to realise that you are dealing with human beings and not machines. Once again, Ofsted is great at identifying a problem (underachievement) but really hasn't got a clue what to do about it. More targets perhaps?
    .....or rather you stupidly don't realise that the people who know most about education in today's society are the one's actually delivering it, and you have no respect for them, and no real idea of what they do, but you're still happy to pass judgement all the same.
    ... all you do is collect 'evidence', because you are a reactive, not a proactive organisation. A bit like asking coroners to raise standards in hospital theatres.
    .... You don't trust trained professionals to be able to get on with their jobs, because, of course, left to their own devices, the teachers of this country would just sit around and drink tea in the staffroom. Heck, it's only inflicting anxiety and misery on hundreds of thousands of teachers across the country we're talking about.....[​IMG]

Three questions:

1) Who inspects the inspectors?

2) Name 3 other countries in Europe who have an equally oppressive inspection regime and better results?

3) Provide me one scrap of 'evidence' that Ofsted has done anything to make schools, teachers or students happier and more successful.

16. The inspection process will be a stressful experience to many.
    This is a reason to try to improve the process rather than destroy it.

It isn't sensible to think that schools could become unaccountable for what they do.
    You only have to think of Baby P and MPs expenses to know that the public require and deserve proper regulation in public life.
    It is fundamental that the quality of what goes on in schools needs to be judged from time to time and such judgments published.

Knocking the character of those who choose to be involved professionally in the quality control of schools has some good stress-relieving aspects but is clearly no more than a characature.
    A comparison is sought with European countries. One would be that school inspection in many European countries has been more stable as a profession than it is in the UK. Here the inspection process has been constantly tinkered with and the constant rescaling has made it hard for any educationalists with the experience needed to be an inspector to trust the stability of inspection as a career.

Schools deserve a stable and accountable inspection system. Schools should have complained, rather than rejoiced, that the government has, over the years, siphoned off large sums of money from the inspection process.
    Inspection has recently been put in the hands of contractors. No problem with that except that contractors will perform the role to the letter of the contract as a purely commercial activity. We can't therefore expect to see much of a human face to it, though I am sure that contractors will work hard to meet the quality standards set for them.

The big issue here is removing the fear from the process.
    But it is also daft that schools assume that QA should be the responsibility of an outside body.
    If all schools received proper support in setting up robust self-evaluation systems then they would have little to fear from any group of people coming in to see how things were going.

Inspection could be much more about checking on whether the process of self evaluation and self reporting of standards by schools was working well, and much less about making external judgments about the quality of the outputs of those schools.

17. I used to be a team inspector when I did secondary subject and aspect inspections. I stopped when inspections were slimmed down and the work that was there went mostly to the Registered Inspectors. These days the opportunities will be found in the 3 contractors who have been awarded the work.

I would say that for anyone contemplating doing inspection work that I found it to be rewarding work though not in the financial sense. The acceptance training was actually quite gruelling I recall. You would have had to have worked in the area of school improvement rather than just teaching to have passed it.

In the majority of schools visited it was a privilege to see teachers giving their best and pupils appreciative of their efforts. We always took the trouble to meet the teachers in the department and tell them what we were looking for and how we operated. I always gave the department a copy of my lesson observation checklist so that they knew what I was looking for. My aim was always to remove the unknown, and it was surprisng sometimes how little teachers had been briefed about the process. It was nearly always possible to establish a working dialogue with the subject or aspect leader and to share evidence found, inferences made and confirm hypotheses with them, i.e. a professional dialogue of the best kind.

I believe that by the end of the 4 days we had 'got it right' to the acceptance of the school, i.e. to have recognised the strengths and correctly evaluated any weaknesses. After the final report back we always spent the time talking about developmental issues and passing on advice from approaches seen in other schools.

Inspections haven't been of that scale for some years. Lesson observations have been minimal. That must be quite disappointing for teachers who go to the trouble of showing their best and to have it unseen.

As to the 'Essential Skills and Experience' spoof list I dont recognise those attributes. Although we have all heard about teams getting things wrong on occasions, I had the fortune to work with teams which were nothing but professional, with people frequently highly distinguished in their subject areas.

Not every teacher will have enjoyed my company. I recall a head of department who was damaging pupil's futures by appalling teaching and strange personal behaviour. The school had waited for Ofsted to sort this problem out for them (which says little about the leadership). It was a difficult week for me but I managed to get the evidence needed for the school to get rid of him. I consider that to be an achievement.

I am not sure whether inspections will ever able to be as thorough as the ones that I took part in, but I would like to see them less minimalist than they are at the present time.

18. This post was last updated in 2009. Has there been any changes?

Some of us are looking at a career change moving from teachers to Additional Inspectors?

Any help and advice welcome!

19. Being an AI isn't really a career in the sense that you are not salaried or pensioned. It used to be something people did in the twilight of their working lives but there is a big move for ISPs to recruit serving practitioners. If you read the latest grilling the commons select committee gave ISPs and Christine Gilbert, it looks like there will be an even bigger shift to using serving practitioners which cant be such a bad thing actually. Some LAs have been using their staff for a while on a day secondment basis, so the LA release them for 2days at a time for about 20 days a year and the money goes to the LA. Quite a few HTs do AI work for 20 days a year as long as their GB say it's OK.

20. How do you become an OFSTED INSPECTOR now? Have been an AST for 11 years in Secondary Education, worked with GTPs for 3 years and NQTs for 10 years.
    Am on TRIBAL database but looks as if they only choosed HEADS and DEPUTY HEADS???
    Would appreciate any information you may have re the process.
    Thanks