1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming an English teacher without a Ba in English

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by amyslyoung1999, Jun 13, 2017.

1. I recently realised I want to become an English teacher - teaching secondary (KS3/4 or 5)
    However, the Ba I am currently enrolled on is not in English. I am studying a Ba in Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. This gives me a lot of skills that will strengthen my teaching abilities.
    However a lot of secondary English PCGEs require trainees to have a Ba or equivalent in English (or at least 50% of the course content in English).
    Any advice on how to achieve my dream of becoming an English teacher would be greatly appreciated.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You could do some standalone Open University modules in English.

See if your uni can help with any school placements, so you can get a better idea about teaching English. There may be community volunteering opportunities through uni as well, in schools.

What has made you decide you want to teach English? Do you have English A levels? Are you involved in something like a book club or English related society at uni?

3. Skyler

Skyler New commenter

Swap onto a predominantly English course. My school won't look at English teachers who don't have a relevant degree, no matter what top up courses they've done.

Get into a school and volunteer in an English department. Look at the pressures that English teachers are currently under. They have (arguably) the heaviest marking load, they are pressured by SLT as a Core subject and they are usually one of the first specifications to trial new systems. Be sure you can face that.

And good luck. Being an English teacher is great, honestly!