1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming an Elementary School Teacher with PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by brenfarre, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Hey, I'm currently finishing my BA Degree in Graphic Design, and come next September I will hopefully be starting a Primary Education PGCE. I wish to move to America and basically be a Primary School Teacher over there and then permanently staying there. I've searched all over the internet and it seems to be the most complicated thing to do. Has anyone had any success or has heard of anyone doing this?
    Cheers, Brendan

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I have know people do this but as you said it take some hoop jumping and it differs from state to state.

What is in your advantage is the ability of private/charter schools to hire anybody to teach without formal American teaching qualification.

Your biggest problem is getting a work visa for America.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Really complicated. The us has a surplus of qualified teachers. Getting a visa will require a school to sponsor you on the grounds that you offer something no us teacher can offer. Pretty tough standard.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Plus it’s really expensive and time consuming for the school. So you really need to be worth it.
    And all for a crappy salary with few benefits. Probably a hard job in a tough school.
    Why?
    So many easier, more lucrative pathways available. Must it be the us?