1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming an Assistant Headteacher

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kathyp1, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I have been the Head of Modern Languages for 9 years now and I would now like to move up to become an Assistant Headteacher. What is the best way for me to go about this? I assume that I need some leadership training but I don't want to do this in my current school as SMT are not very effective or supportive. Can anybody give me any advice?

2. Get involved in whole-school activities e.g. phse/extended curriculum days.
    Make sure you're seriously competent at data and understand your own school's trends.
    Create your own training plan of 'free' activities. Ask your SMT for advice, even if you don't rate them. After all, they've got the job!
    Could you job-shadow for a day at another school (= cover cost only) and pick brains there?
    Send for details of a few jobs as soon as they appear. You'll get the idea of requirements. Even if you then don't intend to apply, practise by doing the application letter. It's an idea to get it drafted now while you should have the time during the holidays.
    Get started at your present school. You'd be surprised how inexperienced some applicants are, so start applying in the next year, whether or not you think you're ready.
    Don't be scared off, thinking you might not be good enough - that's a serious female weakness! Why do I assume you're a female (apart from your name, of course)? You're asking for help! It's an observation over many years, rather than a criticism. Blokes just get on with it! Good luck!

3. Apply for Future Leaders?

4. Some sort of experience outside of your HoD role will be helpful to your application. Such applications tend to stand out more obviously and, in my opinion, are more impressive than someone having attended leadership training if they are matched with an understanding of what has been gained from them.
    This could be something with a 'whole school' slant within your own insitituion; something with the LA (perhaps supporting a new MFL HoD at another school as a sort of mentor) or even with a local ITT trainer (doing some guest lectures on a PGCE course for example).
    Worth also asking to attend some SLT meetings as an observor at your school. Gives an insight to some of things that go on, get discussed etc. around a leadership table.

5. I would also recommend going on the Moving into SLT course run by TES. I went on it in March, applied for my first AHT post and got it first interview. Learned so much on the course. Well worth spending the £80.
    Good Luck!

6. flashash7

flashash7 New commenter

Where can you find information about these SLT courses

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is one this Saturday, run by my colleague Marian Cassidy.

TES SLT 09/13

Then I'm running two later on - mid October and early November.

General information about all the TES Courses can be found here: https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6060678

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

8. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Kiss backside, step on hardworking people, be incompetent, did I leave out something. Oh yea, adhere to the Labour Party line.

9. I got my position through luck. I was only a second in maths in a large comprehensive. Our senco was on long term sick so I covered the job for a few months. She came back so I wanted my own senco job. Applied for an Assistant Head for Inclusion and Senco role in a small secondary and was given it!

10. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Register with NCSL website. Read articles. Do some of their online courses. Think positive. Go on Theo's 'moving on to SLT' course.

11. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Theo, are these courses only run in London? Do you offer these in the Bristol area as well?

Thanks

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, only in London. That's because we get the premises there for free, and of course the administrator is there, as well as the speaker.

Bristol is nice and near - we have had people travel from Cumbria, Cornwall, Tyneside and even N Ireland to come to these!

Here are the details of the next one, being run by me.

<h4 class="post-name with-summary">Hoping to move into Headship or SLT?</h4>
    I believe that I am down to do another one on 9th November too.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

13. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Thanks

14. When is the next course?

I want to attend!!!

15. gliss

gliss New commenter

Gotta agree on all of this post PLUS.... Delegate, never finish or complete anything, manipulate minutes of meetings, have balls.. no female genitalia allowed, be a PE teacher, do not be over weight and especially not over weight and female, make sure you are the other side of 50, never challenge decisions or attitudes, never say your real feelings, buy lots of cakes,...stop shovelling the *** cos you are too useful for SLT in your current role, implement major all school developments and allow your line manager to take the credit., be blinkered about how much staff are working their socks off and *** on them from on high, never talk to your union, BITTER..ME...NO... yeah well probs, resigned to the fact that shovelling *** is what I'm gonna have to do until I leave in a box....!