1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming an assistant Head of Year

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by lilie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Hi there!

I've been teaching for 2 years and my long - term ambition has always been to be a Head of Year. My head of Department, head of Year and Headteachers are aware of my interest.
    I know there is going to be assistant Head of Year job coming up on my school very soon.
    I'm a bit worried about the type of questions I would be asked in the interview as I really really want to shine [​IMG]
    This is a question for assistant HoY or HoY( or anyone else who knows) :what type of questions were you asked during your interview? Any tricky questions to expect? Any tips?
    Thanks

2. Hi

From my experience, you normally have scenario type questions, e.g. what would you do if a pupil is bullying others in the year group etc. Also, you might be asked how you think this experience will help your career. I would have an idea about a mini project or something which you would like to implement within the year group - this depends on the year group, e.g.if Assistant Head of Year Ten, perhaps a paired reading scheme where they support less able readers in Year Seven during registration periods.
    Hope this helps