1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a tutor.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by MissHansonRox, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MissHansonRox

MissHansonRox New commenter

My apologies if this question has already been asked somewhere else and I have missed it.

I am going on to supply work in September and want to also do tutoring in the evenings to supplement my income and because I like the idea of teaching 1:1 as well.

My question(s) is/are should I advertise my services as a tutor via a tutoring website (I have found one called Tutorful for example) or can I advertise privately? If I advertise privately, what do I need to be aware of? I would only tutor in the students home with a parent present for my own peace of mind for example. How does this affect paying tax on my earnings? I am a primary teacher but would tutor in secondary subjects as well if that was where the demand was. Is there ever any demand for tutoring in school holidays as well? What would be a reasonable rate to charge for an hours tutoring?

Any advice or how to get started would be great.

Thank you in advance.

2. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Yes there is work, I would recommend setting up a Facebook page. Tutorful is useful to get started. I would set your prices at a reasonable level to start, as it's harder to increase than decrease! So if you're experienced and QTS, dependent on area, I would suggest about £30. You need to register as self-employed, which is surprisingly easy, and if you earn over a certain amount you can offset things like office supplies against your income. It is an enjoyable job, I miss the camaraderie of the staff room and working in a team, however I don't miss the politics and ridiculous demands of primary education. CGP books are very useful, as is ****** (if they star that out, think of what a star does in the sky!).
    Go for it!

brookend likes this.
  3. sjs_g

sjs_g New commenter

I've just handed in my notice after 15 years teaching in infant school to grow my tutoring business. Exciting but a bit scary too!
    Can I ask do you need to have any type of insurance being self employed? Thanks

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

No you don't need any any insurance, but if you teach students from your home you do need to let your insurance company know. And, surprise, surprise, they will probably make a small increase to your premium.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

When you say you would tutor secondary subjects if that's where the demand is, which subjects do you mean ? Personally, I don't have experience of A level as I worked for many years in a school with no sixth form. Therefore, I don't have knowledge of the syllabus or what an example of each grade might look like. It's not just about subject knowledge. It's been hard enough with the gcse grading changing and it's all a bit unknown.. If I was a parent paying for extra lessons I would want someone with the right experience.
    Having said that, I teach three languages. One of these i have learnt as an adult. When I get requests I make it clear that this is the situation and I don't really offer exam tuition. I tend to get adults who are buying property abroad and they're happy with this.. But working towards exams is a bit different.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Tutor in Secondary subjects only if you have qualifications in those subjects, never mind demand, otherwise you will be cheating hard-working parents & their children.

7. langteacher

That's what I was trying to say

8. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

What do you do about DBS checks?

9. langteacher

I have one from a few years back In six years I've never once been asked for a DBS

katykook likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I've been tutoring 17 years. Never been asked for a DBS.

katykook likes this.