1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a Teaching Assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Ruth586, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Ruth586

Ruth586 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm just starting to really consider becoming a TA, this will be a big career change for me, but something I have wanted to do for a while now. I have already contacted by local Primary School and they are happy for me to do some volunteering there (I did my first afternoon on Monday). I was just wondering what qualifications people recommend. There are lots of different course offered on-line, some with placement etc. I was hoping to a Level 3 course, if this realistic? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Ruth

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Check out your local college as most run TA course that way you will be doing a proper accredited course which is recognised by the local schools. The college would then advise you on which level to start at based on your previous qualifications and experience. Most TA friends of mine started on Level 2.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

where are you changing from? what have you done up until now?

Ruth586 likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The problem with TA posts is that most schools are looking for ex teachers. There are so many thousands of teachers who have left teaching, many divert to becoming TA, so there is a lot of competition for these jobs, mostly from very qualified and experienced applicants.

If you want to work in education it is actually a lot easier to train as a teacher and apply for a teaching job, but then of course, you have to keep in mind there is a reason why all the traffic is the other direction

Ruth586 likes this.
  5. Ruth586

Ruth586 New commenter

Thanks Dunnocks, that's very interesting, and worrying at the same time. I currently work in Local Government in an Officer Support Role. The more I read the more concerns I have about securing employment. I do volunteer in my local Primary School and really enjoy it. Just spoke to local college and I've missed the start of this years course, they did mention apprenticeships but haven't looked into this so far. Does anyone recommend any online course that are advertised?

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Good advice from Wotton. Most FE colleges offer level 2 and 3 accredited courses in Supporting Teaching and Learning. You may also be able to get a placement (you will need this) at the school you are volunteering at. Depending on your educational qualifications, previous experience of study and general work experience, you may well be able to do level 3. The college will be able to advise you. Good luck and enjoy your volunteering.

Ruth586 likes this.
  7. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

Assuming you have a degree.

Absolutely. I'm escaping!

8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

You don’t need qualifications. Just carry on with the volunteering and start applying for jobs.