1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a teacher educator

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by knobie, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hi,

Does anyone have any advice or information on becoming a teacher in a teacher-training program? I've been teaching for nine years in primary; the last as an assistant head. I also have a 1yr diploma in Early Childhood Education and a Masters in Education from the States.

Thanks.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Do you mean a PGCE programme?

If so, you may find options are limited. There has been a massive push in the last five years for teachers to be trained in schools, with the mentoring firmly placed upon school staff. PGCEs do exist, but those that do have had funding cut.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as CW says, this is a shrinking area, with redundancies rather than appointments.

Perhaps you should consider joining a Teaching School?

But if you are sill very keen, read this:

Becoming a Teacher Educator in a University

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. Dear Theo,

I have just been looking at various threads regarding career opportunities in education the of teachers.

I'm a special needs teacher with over 25 years experience, a PGCE in teaching pupils with severe learning difficulties and I've recently gained an MEd in autism from the University of Birmingham. I'm now a senior teacher at my current special school and have delivered various after school INSET training at the school which I thoroughly enjoyed delivering.

I really want to become more heavily involved in the training of teachers especially in my field of SEN. It seems clear to me that my own school will not be giving me many more opportunities to 'train our teachers', especially our NQTs. Now I feel somewhat stuck. I really would like to work towards becoming an educator/trainer for newly qualified or inexperienced SEN teachers. But how do I get into this area?

I note that you suggest joining a Teaching School. Do you think its worth my while to send out potential CVs to these schools (as well as perhaps local universities who are delivering training courses in SEN)?

Any advice would be warmly welcome.

5. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I approached Newman University in Birmingham last summer to volunteer to teach budding teachers some of the ways I work.

I regularly work with special needs students to great effect. There are a lot of ideas which should be introduced into special schools to help both pupils and their teachers.

Experienced special needs teachers are very much 'stuck in the mud' in some ways. They do a wonderful job with difficult pupils. They have a wealth of valuable experience to pass on. However they do have a reluctance to consider new ideas.

Kevin the Clown

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

To Ricardo:

Sending out CVs is generally fruitless - schools, especially training schools, either have vacancies or they do not. Keep checking for job adverts.

To Kevin:

Might be better in future not to slate members of a profession that you claim you want to help. Particularly if you know less about how to do their job than they do...

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Richard.

No . . . sorry!

Writing speculative letters and sending CVs to schools, just in case . . .

Any anyway, Teaching schools have an emphasis on overall NQT training, not just SEN.

Er . . . it's No again, I'm afraid . . .

Becoming a Teacher Educator in a University

Have you tried talking to your Head about this? it may be that there are groups of SEN school Heads that you could be in contact with, to offer your services.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.