1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Bright_uk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Bright_uk

Bright_uk New commenter

Hello All,

I am here for some advice on becoming a TA at primary school, Reception class.

I have some experience of working at preschool and I have good understanding of EYFS. I do not have Level 2 or 3 qualifications for TA role (however, I have a BA in teaching which I received outside of the UK).

I have recently seen some vacancies available for TA post that do not state Level 2 or 3 as a requirement.

Is it worth applying or should I start with getting the Levels sorted first?

Thanks in advance.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Brightuk, welcome to tes. Whilst the majority of schools will ask for at least a level 2 TA qualification, it's definitely worth applying for jobs with the qualification you already have. At the same time as job hunting, I would find out about level 2 and 3 courses at your local college. Many of them only require attendance at college for one day a week; you may then be able to work the other four days a week. If you don't succeed in finding a job, the college would help find you a placement as part of the course - we have employed many people over the years who have been with us on a college placement, so it's another way forward. If possible, I would steer clear of on-line courses; they may give you some of the theoretical knowledge you need but many are not accredited and will not give you the actual qualification. Best of luck and post again if you need further advice, there are lots of people here willing to help.

3. Bright_uk

Bright_uk New commenter

Thank you for your reply and advice, sunshineneeded. I will look into the courses, in fact, I did it before, when I was working at preschool. We have a local college that has this course available, but to be able to get into the studies one has to have at least 3 months experience of working or volunteering at school. A couple of schools I have approached for volunteering, never got back to me, and I was lucky enough to get a job at preschool. I did not know the colleges could help with placement, something worth asking for. I will check that.

I will consider applying for the post currently advertised, but feel like they might not even reply to me :)) From what I've read on this forum, I can see how tought it is to get a job as a TA, even with qualifications, so I feel like my chances are very slim. How long before the interview week, do they tend to reply to you if you've been shortlisted?

I lime this forum, and already have read a lot on here :) will definitely be back for some more advice :)

4. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

I agree to apply for the job, especially with your degree and knowledge. I regularly hear about people that have been hired without any qualifications. Perhaps include your intention to do the Level 2 or 3 in your application (I'd recommend going straight to level 3 btw). Good luck.

5. Bright_uk

Bright_uk New commenter

Thank you, annie2020. I will try then :) will see what happens, fingers crossed.