1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a private tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mehdiz1991, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mehdiz1991

mehdiz1991 New commenter

Hi,

I have got years teaching experience at A Level and BTEC business studies and economics.

I have just left teaching to start lecturing and doing my PhD at salford university, however want to start doing some private tutoring in the lancashire and manchester area.

Would anyone have any:
    1) advice and tips
    2) agencies to use

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Following advice here I joined tutor hunt last week and have already had a couple of takers. Different location, different subject, but impressed so far. Good luck.

3. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n New commenter

Sorry to disagree but I am a Maths Tuor who joined Tutorhunt before Xmas and I have not had any uptake

gmatthews1987 likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

In a major metropolitan area you're up against sixth form students, retired teachers and everyone in between. Frankly, you're better off getting a job shelf-stacking as soon as you can rather than waiting on agencies to work for you or burning your own time & money auto-marketing. You'll make more money more quickly & more regularly and you'll get to make it doing something which allows you to switch off from your studies a couple of times for a week and you will come back to them refreshed each time.

5. tara196

tara196 New commenter

I really enjoy private tuition. If you can organise groups instead of individuals, it's definitely more time/cost effective for you as seeing students on 1:1 basis has it's limitations.

Good tutors work on recommendations- Set up a FB page/ post some flyers around the area to get you started. Tutor companies take a huge commission e.g. if your hourly rate was £20- You'd walk away with around £16 per student Ph. In my opinion, not worth it.

Good luck!

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

i know that we are not allowed to name any groups but can somebody give me the names of some very decent private tutor companies. i don't mind travelling with the families and tutoring. Thank you

7. SteffenCarter

SteffenCarter New commenter

8. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I have had loads of students from Tutorful but you do pay commission which I don’t mind doing.

I‘ve been with them for nearly a year now and teach English maths science from primary to adult.

I don’t use any other type of marketing yet.