1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

becoming a private tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by soph172000, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Hi, I am a Primary School teacher and have been teaching for 6 years. I love working with children and i know i would never find a job as rewarding as this. However like many Im finding the hours and work load too much. I have no work-life balance and spend every evening and weekends working.
    I am considering becoming a private tutor, as I would still be working with children, which i love. Does anyone have any advice re this - what to charge, how to advertise, best way to go about it etc
    Any advice would be very gratefully recieved :)

Thanks

2. Hi, I am a Primary School teacher and have been teaching for 6 years. I love working with children and i know i would never find a job as rewarding as this. However like many Im finding the hours and work load too much. I have no work-life balance and spend every evening and weekends working.
    I am considering becoming a private tutor, as I would still be working with children, which i love. Does anyone have any advice re this - what to charge, how to advertise, best way to go about it etc
    Any advice would be very gratefully recieved :)

Thanks

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I am a language teacher and teach adults as well as youngsters. My youngest is 4 and my oldest is retired. If you plan to teach primary age children, you will probably be limited to the after school time slots so you need to work out, realistically, how many you could fit in in the week, find out what the going rate for your area is, it has been much debated on here about charges and then work out if that is enough for you to live on. Most of my work is from tutorhunt, uktutors, first tutors and word of mouth but word of mouth takes a while to build up. You also need to work out what happens in the holidays. My adult learners carry on during the holidays as they are either retired or working in a non school environment. My primary age students can vary, some parents want them to carry on and some are away themselves. Hope this helps

4. As you probably have guessed from my name (real name Diana btw) I am a big advocate of online tutoring. It really does create flexibility and allows you to harness the potential of the internet to create a profitable business.I noticed in your post that you "have no work life balance"...and this is what happened to me as well.I used to be a face to face ESL teacher in Madrid working from 9-6 and then preparing classes...eating and sleeping. Work was taking over my life. I ended up moving to a smaller town and was out of work for 6 months (but used it to invest in myself and create a website on learning English.Then I was offered a job teaching for the same company but online. It was great. I worked from home, no commute and really enjoyed the digital classroom. There are some really amazing things that you can do online. Digital white boards, share videos, audio, PowerPoint presentations, webcams, microphones and a chat space. It really is amazing.Why should you consider online tutoring? Unlike in person classes, you work with a world wide client base and you can set your hours accordingly. If you work with children you can do after school tutoring but that could be all day for you (depending on the time difference and where the students live). If you'd like to learn more about online tutoring I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. :) - Diana

5. brilliant, thanks for your help [​IMG]

6. Hi Diana, if you could let me know more please that would be brilliant!
    Sophia

7. I have recently given up teaching and would love to find out more about on-line tutoring too!

homeworkminutesablog likes this.
  8. Sent you some links Amy :) xx

9. Could you send them to me too please? :)

10. This is brilliant - thank you so much!

11. Hi, I just registered on these - tutorhunt, uktutors, first tutors

12. Could you send me the links to me too? I'm really interested in teaching online! Thank you very much in advance :)

13. Jumping on the bandwagon too - would you mind sending them to me? Thanks in advance. Bijou

14. And another one! Would be grateful to get those links, Diana - or anyone else who now has then! Thanks!

15. Yet another keen type. I would love to learn more too. please forward info. many thanks in advance
    annetes

16. Hi,
    Have you had any luck yet with your tutoring?

17. Diana
    I would appreciate links too
    Natasha

18. AbleTutors

AbleTutors New commenter

I recently found a website that is attached to a tutoring agency that is specifically looking for tutors in London - www.tutorswanted.co.uk

19. Hi I am interested please send me the link. my email is ammetu@yahoo.com

20. Hi, would you be able to send me the links too please. Very interested in online tutoring! Sarah