1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a primary art teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ingonito, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ingonito

ingonito New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a Primary teacher and I've always been creative without being artisic (I can't draw !) Ive always run Art after school activities etc. Recently (too long to explain ) but I've been teaching some Secondary Art and I've had to prepare an Art exhibition with the students. It's got me thinking how much I'd like to be a Primary Art teacher (and even later a Secondary Art Teacher ) . I've also recently seen jobs advertised for Primary Art teachers that I'd love to go for but without the fear could I do this factor .. How can I make the switch-?what could I do or study (would have to be online ) to move into this? My limited knowledge and experience would need filling out for sure.
    Any help or advice gratefully received !
    many thanks
    TFP

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What do the adverts for primary art teacher positions say? What qualifications and experience do they want? It sounds like you already have good experiences to talk about in a job app/interview.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If you see a job you think you can do, go for it.
    Think about taking some drawing or painting classes to learn some of the techniques you might need to teach.
    Don't lose touch with the rest of the primary curriculum, I've not come across such jobs - they may be dependent on funding initiatives and not last for ever.
    Have you thought about the world of education officers in museums and galleries?

4. ingonito

ingonito New commenter

Hi, they say previous candidates have a background in Art or are Secondary Art teachers who don't mind teaching Primary.I wouldn't say I have a background exactly but yes my experiences are good to talk about . It's more about me wanting better training and skills in this area. Thanks

5. ingonito

ingonito New commenter

6. ingonito

ingonito New commenter

Yes that's the kind of thing I was thinking of - courses- just wondered if anyone knew of art courses for teachers. I do think the educational officers in museum and galleries is a great idea hadn't thought of it but like it a lot - thanks !