1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a parent governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by geek84, Jan 27, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    A vacancy for a parent governor has arisen at the c of e primary school where my kids attend.
    I would very much like to apply for the role, but the problem is that not many parents know me, since I don't very often stay to have a chat!
    If I do apply, then I would perhaps not get many votes!
    Do you think I should apply or forget the idea?
    Thanks inn advance for your response.

2. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    A vacancy for a parent governor has arisen at the c of e primary school where my kids attend.
    I would very much like to apply for the role, but the problem is that not many parents know me, since I don't very often stay to have a chat!
    If I do apply, then I would perhaps not get many votes!
    Do you think I should apply or forget the idea?
    Thanks inn advance for your response.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

4. I also say go for it, but it might be helpful to stop and chat more if you do get elected, to help you get a wider view of parentsviews( but obviously NOT to get drawn into championing particular individual causes!)

5. Dear would be Parent Governor,
    I was in a similar position to you. With two children at the school, at which I'm now a parent governor. I work self employed and time as they say is money. So I didn't know many of the other parents either.
    Appling for a Parent Governor seat is not a popularity contest. (even if some think it is.) If you feel you have some skills which will enable you to be of some assistance to the school, then as said above go for it. I'm pretty sure that you will be glad you did.
    It is hard work, but it's so very rewarding, it makes all the work worth while.

6. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    Many thanks for your replies so far.
    However, I did apply to become a parent governor at the same school a few years ago. There were 2 other candidates at that time, and I got the least votes!
    I think that this down to the fact that the other 2 (ladies), very often stop and chat to other mums, whereas I (male), need to get to my work!
    Please don't think I'm being sexist in any way. So, from my previous experience, do you think I should forget the idea totally?
    Thank You.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You could try using your gender as an electioneering plus - if there is a majority of female parents on the GB (or female majority on the GB as a whole), you could argue that the make perspective is lacking, especially as many folk argue that boys are disadvantaged by the predominately female environments in primary schools.