1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a music teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by nicolaepiano, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Hi everyone,

My name is Nicolae and I study piano for more then 16 years.I just finished my bachelor degree in Music at Guildhall school of music and drama I'm London.
    I am interested in getting to teach music in school and I am a bit confused where to start from, what other steps I need to take....
    can somebody please give me some advice.

Thank you :)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you want to be a music teacher in a state school you need to complete a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education). Look on the UCAS website to see what PGCEs are available in music, what the requirements are, and what the fees are. There may be a bursary available, depending on whether you are EU or international; the amount varies according to your degree classification.

Generally speaking, you will need to spend time in schools to make sure it's right for you - you could volunteer one afternoon a week for a term, or ask to spend a week observing lessons, or get a job as a Teaching Assistant. You will need two referees to support your application - who does that will depend on whether you've worked before or not. You will also need to complete the Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy, prior to starting the course.

During the PGCE you will spend the vast majority of your time on placements, teaching your subject. You spend a small amount of time leaning theory and subject knowledge. You will have to complete some written assessments (essays) throughout the course.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I would definitely recommend going into a variety of schools in order to see what teaching class music is like - you will no doubt see quite a wide spectrum of practice, depending upon the schools you visit. A teaching qualification is a necessity if you wish to teach in a state school, as @blueskydreaming says, but I would still recommend it even if you wish to explore teaching in the independent sector. In many state secondary schools I am under the impression that it is becoming increasingly difficult just to teach Music and you are likely to need a second subject. In the independent sector it is much more likely that you will be able just to focus on Music, and you have the option to teach in a senior school or a preparatory school, if you would prefer the younger age group.