1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a media teacher...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by frann1e, Sep 21, 2016.

1. frann1e

frann1e New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have a question and seen some negative things and wondered if I could get any help and advice?

I went to university and graduated in 2010 with a 2.2 in Media culture and production. I have been working in the industry for over 6 years and currently working as a corporate video producer. I have always loved school and looking for a career change to become a media teacher. Doing some research I have seen some negative comments that I would struggle to get a media teaching role after becoming qualified. I also wondered if there was a way to route in to teach things such as media and photography? My other worry is I am dyslexic and worried this may slow me down.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You'd be more likely to see media and photography taught in Further Education settings (colleges etc.) rather than secondary schools - as such you'd be better off doing a PGCE in FE rather than secondary, so it's a totally different course and funding etc. Look on some FE college websites in your area to see what courses they offer, and consider if you've got the background to teach any of them.

I don't think there will be many jobs for media and photography even at FE though, and any jobs that are available will probably have less favourable conditions than secondary schools (such as not being on a permanent contract).

I just checked my local college website - they do media studies and film studies AS and A level, and diplomas in media production and digital media production.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    pepper5 likes this.
  3. frann1e

frann1e New commenter

Hey Blue Sky! Thanks for your reply really appreciate it. It wasn't necessary media and photography as such just wondered if it was possible to learn to teach 2 separate subjects to get a better head start. Thanks.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Yes, being able to offer more subjects would definitely make you more employable. In terms of teacher training I don't know what combinations you could train to teach, you might just have to go for a straight Media Studies course for example, but once you get a teaching qualification you can teach any subject at KS3 (in secondary), and KS4 and 5 as long as you have an A level in those subjects, or you studied modules at uni in those subjects, or you have experience working in a field relevant to that subject.

5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

In schools, there's rarely enough timetable (or valid combinations of timetable) for a dedicated Media teacher. Most Media teachers also teach English too. It's certainly how I started out. You may be able to wrangle a job doing mostly Media Studies and a bit of KS3 English, if that's what you want, but that's to worry about much later.

As stated above, you have a much better chance of a dedicated role in colleges. You also have a much better chance of lower pay and a temporary contract!

I believe there is only one dedicated PGCE in Media Studies, offered by Goldsmiths, and that may be with English. Certainly, an English PGCE is what most Media Studies teachers hold.

The academic nature of Media/Film Studies means there's lots of overlap with English. If this isn't for you, then vocational courses at colleges (maybe with Photography etc.) are probably what you want to look into teaching.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

We have distinct media teachers at my school. We are a big sixth form though so have the capacity to do this. I would hazard a guess that all of these started their careers as English teachers as well and have been able to move into media via this.

It is a risk for you. I would not consider it if you are not interested in teaching English. It is up to you entirely, but I am not sure I would be taking the risk of leaving a job to do a qualification in post compulsory education. Certainly without doing some research.

On another note, some schools will be put off by a 2.2 as well.