1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a Math FE lecturer (SOME GUIDANCE PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by zcesf23, Oct 8, 2019.

?

FE or SECONDARY

This poll will close on Jan 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM.
  1. FURTHER EDUCATION

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. SECONDARY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zcesf23

zcesf23 New commenter

Hi there. I am an industry leaver leaving an engineering role having become fed up with the industry, I am looking to take up a position teaching Maths in a further education college.

I hold a secondary maths PGCE and have been offered a position at a local FE college. I enjoy pastoral elements of the job, building a rapport and helping people achieve.I'd technically be joining as an NQT.

Are they any maths FE lecturers here that can share their experience and perhaps help with the following queries?

· How does teaching math at FE level compare to teaching at secondary. What is your preference? In what ways is it better or worse.

· In my personal experience at a boys school behaviour of students in KS3/KS4 was so bad, with no respect for teachers, and no support from management team. Is behaviour at college generally an issue.

· Do you enjoy it? What do you like about it?

· Do you have any tips for efficient lesson planning? I have 24 contact hours, approximately with 2-hour lessons I need to plan 12 lessons a week. KS4 is usually 1 hour lessons. How would you structure lessons?

· What are your general work hours? I know the stated 36-hour work week is not realistic. Can a 40/45hr work week be achieved?

· I’m not averse to hard work, but do you feel burn out? Is the profession sustainable

· Do you have any tips for survival and not getting overwhelmed? And doing the role well?

· What kind of progressions can lecturers expect, the max pay at my college is £38.5K for math lecturers, what kind of leadership opportunities are there?
    -Are there any support systems at your college that support NQTS?