1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a home-school teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Summer93, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Summer93

Summer93 New commenter

Hi everyone,

After a very difficult year and a long period of sickness, I've decided to leave mainstream education. It's been a really heartbreaking decision but I'm trying to look forward.

I've been informally offered a position to home-school a little boy, who due to his SEN, will not attend school. I'm really excited about this, but also somewhat nervous/apprehensive. Does anyone have experience of doing something similar? I guess I just need a little more information.

I'm concerned about how this will affect my career long term, if I decide to return to teaching in schools a couple of years down the line, will it look better or worse on my CV than leaving a permanent role to teach supply? How do I go about maintaining my QTS etc.?

I'd like to do this on a self-employed basis really, so looking to make this as legitimate as possible.

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I can help with one of your concerns ; the one about being self employed. Go onto the HMRC site and find out how to register as self employed. Once you do this, you simply keep a record of your income and record of your expenses and at the end of the tax year, you or a bookkeeper will feel in a self assessment form to calculate how much tax you owe. It is easy so don't worry about it. If you don't want to to of yourself, you might want to pay a bookkeeper to do it for you.

You might also want to look into what insurance you need. Your union may be able to advise you on that or the Teacher Support Network.

If you are a qualified teacher, you never lose QTS. Returning to mainstream will be fairly easy since their is a shortage of teachersmin some areas. You may have to do supply to get your foot back in.

Do you have any experience of working with the particular needs this student has? You might want to find out more specific information and go on a short course to learn about specific strategies you need.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good points there, @pepper5 , in an overall very helpful post!

I do not think that this will be negative, long term, as you will be involved in planning,delivering and assessing. Just not whole-class classroom behaviour. And I should imagine that it would be very rewarding.

Do keep up your Union membership, by the way. You are a Union member, aren't you?

Join a Union. Yes, now!

And why not post on the Special educational needs forum and ask there for advice too?

Best wishes

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sorry about the typos...should be there is a shortage of teachers....

5. Summer93

Summer93 New commenter

Thank you for your replies! That's really helpful :)
    I will definitely keep up my union membership, couldn't have lived without them this year, th ey've been a huge source of support!

Will look into HMRC, insurance etc. this week. Starting to feel like an exciting prospect now!

I do have experience of teaching children with these needs, but will likely look at some short courses in addition to this, just to get myself into the swing of it (have been off sick with work related stress since the end of summer term now) The special educational needs board seems like a good place to start!

Thanks again

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up icon)

Best wishes