1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a HOD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by beckylou411, Jul 10, 2018.

1. beckylou411

beckylou411 New commenter

I have been successful on two occasions to get an interview for a HOD position, however I didn't get the job. I have had experience as acting head of department for a short period but was wondering if anyone had any advice in gaining more experience/courses which will help with the next stage in my career.

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

If you have had two interviews I would say you are a good candidate already. Is there something about your interview approach which could help get you over the line next time?

3. beckylou411

beckylou411 New commenter

I think interview experience would help and just getting back into that mindset and being more prepared. But if you have any other advice that would be great!

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I wouldn’t say you would need such courses, as you’ve done the job before, and you feel that you could do it. I think from what you’ve said, it’s your interview technique. Did you ask for feedback from the previous interviews? If you got feedback, then you know what to work on; if you didn’t, and you didn’t request it- why not?- how do you expect to improve if you have no feedback to reflect on- I’m sorry if you feel that I’m coming across as blunt, but the comment is here to help you.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It might sound left field, but ask your own headteacher for advice on how better to prepare for a HOD interview. It really depends on the quality of your headteacher.