1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a HLTA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hs1876, Dec 7, 2019.

1. hs1876

hs1876 New commenter

Hello,

Need some advice on gaining a HLTA status. I already have a BA Hons first class degree in Eduction studies and am currently working as a Year 6 TA so I was wondering if it makes a difference with already having degree. Is there a possibility it would take me less time to gain my HLTA status?

Thank you advance

2. megan4461

megan4461 New commenter

Hi it does not make a difference if you have a degree or not, it will take the same amount of time, I would say if you are thinking of doing it your self and not through your school, then go through a reputable company, not an on line one Also look at the standards and see what you need for your evidence. Good luck

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Have a look at hlta.org.uk - this will tell you who are the regional providers of assessment in your area. You should then be able to find out where and when the three day preparation for assessment courses are held. You would then need to talk to your Head Teacher to find out if they would support your HLTA application (you do need their support). Your degree won't make any difference to the training or assessment - you need English and Maths at GCSE grade C or above or equivalents, plus significant TA experience; some LAs ask for at least 3 years. The hlta website will given you a lot of information, but post again if you have any questions. Good luck.