1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a Headteacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by lwright88, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hello all, I have recently got a place for a Primary PGCE for September 2012. I was wondering how many years would it take to work up-to headteacher, and if there is anything I should be do now? Obviously I wouldn't want to go into to a headship without the proper experience. Any additional tips would be great.

2. Hello all, I have recently got a place for a Primary PGCE for September 2012. I was wondering how many years would it take to work up-to headteacher, and if there is anything I should be do now? Obviously I wouldn't want to go into to a headship without the proper experience. Any additional tips would be great.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Get through your PGCE.
    2. Find a teaching job.
    3. Get though your NQT year.
    4. Get through several years' teaching, meeting your performance objectives and getting above average progress for your whole class.
    5. Apply for a TLR post.
    6. Be appointed to it.
    7. Get several years' experience of leading other staff and be able to demonstrate that your leadership helped them get better progress out of their classes.
    8. Apply for a deputy headship.
    9. Be appointed to it.
    10. Get several years' experience offering excellent leadership of the areas within your job description, demonstrating that it has helped staff get better progress out of their classes AND prove that you can effectively act as head when s/he is not there.
    11. Take advantage of a wide range of appropriate, relevant professional development throughout your career and be able to demonstrate what you have learned from it and how it has made you an excellent candidate for each job you apply for.
    12. Apply for headships.
    13. Get appointed to one.
    There you go. Simples.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh, and the question about how many years it will take - you get through your PGCE first and then get your first job before you start wondering about that.
    Both these things are by no means certain.

5. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I wonder if the poster has followed all this excellent advice over the last few days and is now where they want to be.

6. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Middlemarch -[​IMG]