1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a head teacher.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fastortoise, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I was just wondering. As there are no deputy head jobs and so many headships up for grabs, surely theremust be another way for experienced teachers to accelerate to headship.
    Any thoughts.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you have to have done the NPHQ (or some initial like like) first, so what about applying for the course and qualification?

3. In the last eighteen years I worked under a succession of incompetant heads whose main objectives seemed to be:

1. Ignore bad student behaviour.
    2. Make your long serving staff unhappy.
    3. Get rid of as many older, experienced staff and replace them with young NQTs who will believe your ********.
    4. Vastly increase pointless paper chasing exercises for your staff.
    5. Lie to parents and the press about results and put a 'gloss' over your own incompetance.
    6. Waste money.
    7. Run the school into the ground and then leave to become a 'Super Head' or a highly paid consultant.

So, in answer to your question I'd say just make sure you know the right people because the actual "qualifications" seem to be completely irrelevant.