1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a childminder - am I crazy to consider it?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by minxyfish, May 16, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,
    The title says it all, really! I have a 19 month old, just found out I'm pregnant again and not enjoying my job,
    If I could afford it, I'd be a stay at home mum like a shot, but I went back on 0.6 as needs must. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it. I feel ground down, tired, stressed, like there's never enough time in the colege day to get everything done, and to top it all my students keep comparing me unfavourably with the other teacher who I share classes with. Despite me trying my best, their comments on surveys and in focus groups always say that she is more fun/enthusiastic/helpful etc. It's hard work and I feel crappy many days.
    I have been toying with the idea of leaving teaching for a while but don't know what else to do. The thought of re-training completely leaves me cold, as my priority is time with my family, and not starting a new career. I run a very small business from home that I enjoy as it allows me to choose my own hours and work from home, but it's never going to pay the bills...
    So my thoughts have turned to childminding. Working from home, with my own kids around too, be my own boss. I'm under no illusion that it is an easy job - I know lots of other childminders and they work bloody hard for a much lesser salary than teaching - but I can't go on indefinitely with teaching as it is at the moment.
    Have any of you/your friends changed career to become a childminder? How do you find it? Is it worth the chaos?! I'm thinking that I could ideally look after teachers' kids so that I just have term-time only contracts which would allow me to spend time with my own two during their school holidays.
    Sorry for the long post, I'd appreciate any comments, thanks.
    Minxy

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Know quite a few. The more experienced say it used to be a good job, but now it's a bit daft as the focus is on paperwork not kids (bit like teaching, 30 years ago teachers taught and few did paperwork all weekend!) And just like with teaching, the one who has since gone back to teaching says that the children's experience is worse, so do be prepared. When she started, she just played with the kid, now she has to do a risk assessment to take them to the park! When she asked her Ofsted inspector if she did a risk assessment (beyond the common sense in your head one) to take her own kids to the park, the inspector admitted she didn't have any! Says it all really. So do be aware, also not the same job security as teaching. On the plus side, some would be clients might be impressed that you are a teacher so you may be able to pick and choose.
    You need to get a pre registration qualification (barmy I know, as you could have 10 kids of your own and not need one), and there are limits to the number of kids you can take (again, you could have 10 of your own under 5!). But hey, if you accept the madness, then you will be making some money and still getting time with your LO.
    If you have anyone else possibly in the house, including older children 16+, they need CRB checked too and I think you will have to pay.

3. Thanks for your reply, hhhh. Yes, I know a lot of it is paperwork and nonsense and I have spoken to my daughter's childminder (an ex-primary teacher) so I know a lot of the training requirements.
    There seems to be a demand for childminders in my area, so I'd hope that I'd get work quite easily. In terms of job security - I currently don't have much of that. We've just fought long and hard to keep our jobs in s sixth form, due to falling numbers and smaller classes, and I suspect it will be the same year on year now until we close.
    Hmmm, food for thought! I'm definitely thinking the madness and chaos and salary drop will be worth it to be at home with my own children, and I do love other kids too. I'm a bit of a natural mum, if you know what I mean, I'd have a house full if I could!
    I do worry about things like pension/future maternity leave etc. though.

4. One of my friends gave up teaching for child minding about 3 years ago and loves it. She much prefers having time to spend with her two children and is much less stressed and much more relaxed. She hasn't had any trouble finding mindees, and is looking forward to having a baby mindee in September when her youngest goes to school. I'm considering it in the future as I really like the idea of being able to stay at home and having chaos and I'm jealous of my friend who is loving her job and being with her own kids and her lack of stress.

5. Brilliant, thanks! That's very encouraging to hear. I need to have a long chat with my daughter's childminder and to start researching it seriously.

6. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

What sort of salary could be earned as a childminder? Sounds like a good idea!

7. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I know where I live the going rate is anywhere from 35 to 55 per day depending on location, if meals are provided, whether it's term time only or year round, etc. I'm going back to work in July, but am considering leaving teaching and becoming a childminder myself as I worked out that by looking after one child ft and one pt, I would bring in what would be left of my salary after paying for my LO to attend a childminder or nursery ft. Not only would I be able to earn some money, but I'd get to stay home with her which just isn't possible unless I bring in some sort of income.

8. Thanks Minxy for starting this thread!
    I have handed my notice in at school for this exact reason. LO is 7 months and I'm going back for summer term 2 so that the 6 weeks holiday counts towards the 13 weeks required to keep all of my maternity pay. I intend to start the registration process as soon as the summer holidays begin, with the hope that I'll be up and running by January 2013. Fingers crossed!
    I have heard that there is a big emphasis on paperwork (as hhhh said), but I think as teachers we are used to this and so I haven't let it deter me. I teach reception and our EYFS unit received outstanding in our last Ofsted. Posting off my resignation letter was incredibly scary, but I'm really excited about this new chapter in my career!
    Bumbly x

9. I'm a secondary school teacher and I have been terribly tempted to become a childminder. But I'm not sure my house is big enough to warrant it...

10. Hi, the new EYFS is in force from September and they have dramatically cut down the need for paperwork for childminders.e.g. childminders won't need written policies any more so might not be as bad as it is now.

11. Hi all,
    I too am considering child minding! I know the paperwork will be a lot, but surely not as much as in teaching....!
    Any one doing it now and can give me some feedback would be much appreciated :).

12. Just coming back because I probably sounded really negative and didn't want to sound too miserable... it has many plus points- ability to pick your kids up from school, it can be very rewarding, exam pressure is reduced.... lots of opportunities for creativity.

13. Insist,If you insist,you will see the sunshine.