1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Becoming a Business Studies Teacher

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by toffeebird, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hi
    I hope some of you can help me. After being in marketing for 4 years, i have decided to study towards my PGCE in Business Education. I have done all the necessary steps, i have organised my work experience in 2 schools (starting in a couple of weeks), been to various career fairs and found out what universities offer the course required. I also have a Business Studies degree with 2.1 hons.
    However after looking on the TES website, i can see that there doesnt seem to be a great demand for Business Studies Teachers in the Yorkshire area?! I would hate to do all this hard work and then struggle to not be able to get a job at the end of it all. I will be taking some risks, esp financial to be able to do my PGCE so need to know for sure that there will be work at the end of the teacher training.
    I did look into ICT however i have been told that i wouldnt be able to pursue this as i have a Business degree and not in ICT (even though i have plenty of 'life experience in this!)
    Any help and advice would be really grateful!
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I hope some of you can help me. After being in marketing for 4 years, i have decided to study towards my PGCE in Business Education. I have done all the necessary steps, i have organised my work experience in 2 schools (starting in a couple of weeks), been to various career fairs and found out what universities offer the course required. I also have a Business Studies degree with 2.1 hons.
    However after looking on the TES website, i can see that there doesnt seem to be a great demand for Business Studies Teachers in the Yorkshire area?! I would hate to do all this hard work and then struggle to not be able to get a job at the end of it all. I will be taking some risks, esp financial to be able to do my PGCE so need to know for sure that there will be work at the end of the teacher training.
    I did look into ICT however i have been told that i wouldnt be able to pursue this as i have a Business degree and not in ICT (even though i have plenty of 'life experience in this!)
    Any help and advice would be really grateful!
    Thanks

3. Hello,
    I'm currently doing a PGCE in business education. Apparently Jobs continue to surface throughout the year and everyone on last years course was employed.
    With regards to the ICT bit, most people on our course are teaching some degree of ICT on their placements. Some people from last years business course now have full time jobs as ICT teachers. So I suppose therefore you can do Business and then go on to teach business and/or ICT.

4. Hi grenhouse
    Thank you for your reply, was just stressing a little bit i suppose, but still going to go for it and see what happens. Hope the PGCE is going well for you.
    Cheers

5. Hi Toffebird
    I'm in a similar position. I graduated in 97 with a business studies degree and I have since been working in Investment Management and more recently recruitment. I took the rather hasty decision to quit my job last week as I'd had enough. I've been thinking about trying to become a teacher for ages and I now want to try and find either a PGCE place or if I can a GPT (although I gather this will be near impossible for someone like me and with a business studies degree.)
    I have arranged to spend a few days at a school in 3 weeks time and I'm going to try and get volutary work as in a local school as well. I have no idea how difficult it will be to get on a course, find a job or gain a GPT place. I'm going to the open day (Train to Teach) at the Science Museum on Saturday so hopefully this will be helpful. At this stage I don't really know whether I'd prefer secondary or an FE/HE college so any advice would be really helpful.
    Thanks
    Arun

6. Hi Arun
    I know exactly what you mean. I was made redundant in December, had been a marketing manager for 2 years and been in marketing for 5 years (graduated 04). I had thought about teaching for a while but was never brave enough to do anything about it, so now is a better time than ever.
    I doubt i would get onto a GTP so i am going through the PGCE route. I am going to the Train to Teach in Manchester in March, you can meet up with providers etc so that should be really helpful.
    Im glad to hear there are people in similar situation as me and im not alone!! My main concern is getting a perm position when training is over but suppose its a risk we will have to take!
    Good luck with it all!
    Cheers

7. Good to know we are in the same boat!
    I guess the positive is that the economic climate shouldn't effect the number of teaching positions too much so if there were enough jobs for people completing PGCE's this year there should hopefully be for next year too.

Best of luck!

8. what part of yorkshire are you looking for? There always seems to be a good few jobs in the Leeds area (usually around Easter) - I am in Kirklees and the jobs do come up every now and then.

9. I am in the West Yorkshire Area, i live in Wakefield so Leeds and surrounding areas is great, can also commute to Barnsley, Doncaster etc so that sounds promising.
    Thanks

10. Hi,
    I am doing a PGCE in Business Studies in Leeds, currently on my first teaching placement. I also have a 2:1 in International Business and a background in marketing in the IT industry and left all that behind a few years ago when I had a family!
    I would say go for it! I'm glad I did, and our tutor tells us that the majority of business jobs don't come up until Easter. On the note of ICT, I have recently applied for my first job and it is to teach Business with some ICT which is my preferred option.
    Good luck

11. The PGCE is going great, am thoroughly enjoying it and definately not regretting it one little bit! I would apply asap though, cos i would guess that there will be a lot of people in this 'economic climate' who will be thinking about teaching, particularly people from the banking sector.
    Get some experience, apply and enjoy! Its hard work but well worth it.

12. I am hoping to study for my PGCE this year, starting in September 09 . I have my interview next week in yorkshire 'huddersfield uni'. I am from N.Ireland and have agreed with 2 schools to spend a day in a business studies class and another in a primary school to get an insight into a teachers daily routine. I am looking forward to it as i applied to gttr 3 yrs ago and spoke with a teacher who advised me if i was in a position to gain industrial experience; that he recommended to stay put and wait for the opportunity as i was with a company that could either launch a productive career or chase my dream of becoming a teacher, but it was experience he told me that some teachers lacked in this subject that is vital. Due to the economic climate i was made redundant, and this gave me the opportunity to chase my dream. I have some great experiences working in different sectors however i was not happy and thats why i felt the time was right now to become what i wanted to be, also the rewards are great. I coach rugby and when you see someone achieve a goal cause you helped them it beats any sales bonus.

13. youngandenthusiastic

youngandenthusiastic New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I started my PGCE in September and feel i was a little under prepared. It takes up a hell of a lot of your time and my biggest piece of advice other than getting in school experience which you are all doing is to read!!! I know this sounds boring but when people start talking to you about synoptic units, didactic teaching, formative and summative assessment, behavioural management techniques it really helps if you have some idea of what you are talking about, it will also allow you first mentor to have greater confidence in allowing you to teach their groups.
    There is so much 'teacher speak' out there so familiarising yourself with it and refreshing your subject knowledge will be of great benefits for you. Also most business teachers are told they need to have an additional subject under their belts, ICT, economics or travel/leisure and tourism are often the preferred subjects so brush up on your knowledge of those as well.

Hope this helps