1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Become an MFL Teacher

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by heidix179, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I am thinking about becoming a MFL teacher,
    I am currently in year 11 and doing my french GCSE
    Next year (yr 12) i'm hoping to do French AS and spanish gcse in one year
    In yr 13 i'm hoping to do french A2 and Spanish As!

What is the best way to become a MFL teacher? courses? univerisity? work experience? any advice? Thank-you :)

2. cna1

cna1 New commenter

Hi there,

The usual route is to study languages at University and then do a one year Post Graduate Certificate in Education. This will enable you to teach secondary languages.

Try to keep up two languages if you can as this will make you more employable when you have qualified. It will also make it easier to get onto the PGCE course aswell. the ability to teach two languages is a real plus.

A word of caution, the government are re-considering how teacher training works so the usually route through may change by the time you get there.

The main thing is to study two languages and to maintain these at degree level or at least one at degree level and you should be ok.

I would also offer to help out in your school's language dept as an assistant with the lower years once or twice per week. This will give you an insight into what it's like to be a teacher, a young learner in case you've forgotten(!) and looks good on degree applications.

Good luck!