1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Become a teacher of other subjects on top of main teaching subject

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by shoroboo525, Jul 4, 2019.

1. shoroboo525

shoroboo525 New commenter

Hi teachers of secondary education,

I believe that most of you are ready for a nice summer holiday.

I am a teacher of Mandarin with QTS and I am thinking to prepare myself teaching math and Spanish unto GCSE level in the future.
    My question is, what do I need to do in order to teach other subjects? By attending SKE course or taking subject knowledge test?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The bottom line is that you have to convince a head that you're capable of teaching these subjects. If you can do that, you're home and dry.
    If you're in a school already, talk to your head or one of the deputies and see what they think. Also talk to the heads of maths and MFL.
    If you're not in a school. Don't rush.
    First of all, clarify to yourself the qualifications and experience you have to teach these subjects. Read the exam specs. Look at subject based textbooks.
    Have a go at some GCSE papers. when you look at the papers, think not just about whether you know the answers, but how you would explain to a struggling year 11 how to solve an inequality or how to translate a bit of Spanish.

Then, see what subject enhancement courses are available.

I would be inclined to do one subject first and get some experience teaching it, then do the other. Trying to do both will possibly result in neither going as well as they might.
    If you can teach Mandarin, you have the language teaching skills. Maths is a bit different (but there are probably more subject enhancement courses out there).
    Good luck.

3. shoroboo525

shoroboo525 New commenter

Thank you so much! That was very clear. I am good in math as the math education in Asia is strong. However, I do agree with you that teaching math requires other techniques which is different from teaching languages. I will embark on working only one subject first and do the other one later.

4. EGO8

EGO8 New commenter

For Maths, No SKE! These courses just brush you on the broadness of maths curriculum/specification not the depth because no time. Instead of doing that I will enter for GCSE as a private candidate and prepare for the exams studying privately (I don't mean any disrespect here). The best way to learn maths and its teaching is to do it yourself and observe teachers and students.

In this preparation you can work out which method works best for you but I must say to be a teacher of maths who enjoys maths you have to be a master of many methods...

In your preparation interact with student about topics/questions. See why they prefer certain ways, offer your way and ask them to critise it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Maths education in (at least some parts of) Asia is quite different to the UK, so I suspect that, although your subject knowledge will undoubtedly be strong, you may find it harder to adapt to a different teaching style and approach to the subject. I think SKE will concentrate on the subject knowledge, which isn't the bit you need,