1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beauty and the Beast....Channel 4

Discussion in 'Personal' started by y9840125, Feb 9, 2011.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Great programme and inspiring in many ways.
    I want to show this to some of the kids I teach as we are looking at prejudice this term.

2. It is interesting to watch. As soon as you have been watching the disfigured people for more than a few seconds, you dont blink an eyelid.
    As you say, it is human nature to look twice if somebody like that passes you by. Not to be rude, or because you "want a good look", but purely because things that are different stand out and 'trigger' the response in our brains. It is like seeing a very expensive sports car, or a pink poodle! It does not mean we are looking down on them, but things you dont see very often catch your eye.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I guess we also look twice at someone who is incredibly beautiful but maybe our facial expression is different.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I find it hard not to gaze at somebody beautiful on the tube. It doesn't matter whether they're male or female. Our eyes are drawn to beauty. It must be a pain for the beautiful though I suppose they get used to it. Mr inky tells me that men don't register male beauty in the way that women register female. He's probably mostly right. Dunno.
    As for people with facial or other disabililities, the fact is that you're often torn between politeness and curiosity. Fortunately, most of us are decent people and the first instinctive impression is squashed within milliseconds by a better emotion.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thouhg that must be painfully apparent to people with facial disfigurements.
    I suppose we've just got to get on with it.

6. I thought the psychiatrist summed Sarah up very accurately - narcissistic, lacking empathy, very 'teenage' and without any sense of inner self.
    I didn't like Sarah, and thought she was very selfish, and she ALWAYS made everything about her.
    As an aside, and on a rather shallow note I thought Sarah was hideous, looks-wise. Leathery skin, sulphur-yellow hair, awful make-up. To say she looked like a Soho career-transvestite would be kind.

7. BelleDuJour

True. I felt rather sorry for her. I'd hate to be so insecure I had to always wear false eyelashes, mini skirts, full make up and inject my face all the time.
    I've had a nose job and a bit of botox in the past. I take care of myself but am not obsessed. I go without makeup frequently and could do with losing a few pounds.....but not bothered enough to do anything about it.
    I figure I'm pretty well balanced. Susan was very well balanced. Sarah was completely insecure and when age and gravity finally catches up with her she may need psychiatric help!

8. I'm reading Face by Benjamin Zephaniah with my Year 8 class - it's about a boy who suffers facial disfigurement following a car accident.
    Today I showed the class the first episode of this series where a man had suffered burns to the face as a teen. The class loved the show, and at the end, one of them said 'after a few minutes you don't really notice his face anymore'. Made me feel quite emotional!
    Also agree that Sarah was very irritating.

9. Although it looked like an interesting programme I didn't watch it. The main reason being was the title, I wonder if those people taking part knew that they would be referred to as beasts? I personally found the title highly offensive.

10. BelleDuJour

I'm sure they do. Especially as one guy (who seems to feature every week, Adam I think) set himself up as a 'Freak Show' in last night's programme.

11. I didn't even think about the title, to be honest.

I suppose if the people featured were offended by the title, they could have refused to be shown.

12. Maybe the title works on a much deeper level as well- looking at beauty on the inside and the hidden beast within- of the shallow beauty obssessed world we live in..... Or maybe not!

I have not seen this weeks- it is on sky plus and really liked both the girl and the man, and I was quite touched by how much they both gained from the experience - both willing to learn from each other.

13. BelleDuJour

Very different tjhis week. Let us know what you think.

14. I found this week's episode quite hard to watch. I have to confess that at first I found myself feeling sorry for Susan. As the programme went on it became evident that she doesn't need/want any sympathy at all. A very confident, intelligent and capable woman.
    I found Sarah's reaction to when Susan was singing unbearable. She was so overly dramatic and patronising. It's as though she didn't believe that somebody with a disfigurement could/should have such a talent.
    Unfortunately there are far too many 'Sarah's' in this world and not nearly enough 'Susans'.

15. BelleDuJour

I agree, and this is probably why the programme was made.
    It actually made me feel thankful I do not look like Sarah (no disrepect....more a case of there but for the grace of God), but more thankful I do not look like Sarah!
    Beauty really IS skin deep............and in Sarah's case there's very little skin left after the facelifts and chemical peels.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. It certainly does challenge our prejudices.

16. BelleDuJour

Ooops!
    It actually made me feel thankful I do not look like Susan..........................[​IMG]
    All those pesky 's'

17. Much to my shame, I have not been able to watch this programme, as I find facial disfigurement very, very hard to deal with. I have no idea why, and as I said I am deeply ashamed of the fact, but I guess it must be something which how uncomfortable it makes me feel.
    Actually if I am honest, I actually find any kind of disfigurement of the body really difficult to deal with, and my youngest daughter is having huge difficulties with similar issues at the moment too.
    She hasn't picked these up from me, as I have been very, very careful not to pass them on to her.
    It's nothing to do with the way I feel about the people who have the disfigurement, as I have great empathy for them.

18. BelleDuJour

Well worth watching DL, as it takes very little time before you realise you no longer notice the disfigurement.

19. I completely agree. I must admit I was shocked when Susan first walked in the room and I thought to myself "Oh that poor woman". After 5 minutes of listening to what she had to say and getting a bit of an insight into the kind of person she was I didn't think like that at all.

20. My OH is very much the same. He couldn't sit and watch with me and was quite upset by the fact that he found it so hard to deal with.