1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical - on tour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Jan 16, 2020.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Having seen this in the West End a few years ago we went to see it at our local theatre last night: the first week of an 8-month nationwide tour. It's sold out for the week it is on here; the audience absolutely loved it.
    I'm flagging this up as a really good night out if you haven't already seen it: great staging, great songs and a great cast.
    The tour dates are here:
    https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/beautiful-the-carole-king-musical-touring
    It's coming to a whole load of provincial theatres which means that tickets should be at reasonable prices.

emerald52 and Morninglover like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We saw it West End. MrA is not a massive fan of musicals but he loved it. Will definitely try to catch it if it comes round here.
    Oo-er I've made it sound like chicken pox.

smoothnewt likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

Different cast, obviously, but great neverthless. A standing ovation at the end.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I saw it in the West End.
    Enjoyed it ('Tapestry' is one of the albums which is the backdrop to my university days), but felt it was a little bit too 'nice': King's bleakest days didn't come across as that bleak - I felt a lot was missed out.

It may have been because I saw it a week after going to Meatloaf's musical, 'Bat out of Hell', which is STUPENDOUS - the music, the staging, the production (naff storyline, but that wasn't important!). And the Meatloaf singer was better than the Carole King singer.

'Beautiful' was always going to pale into insignificance by comparison.

'Bat out of Hell' is on tour from September this year, by the way.

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. smoothnewt

The second half is certainly "darker" than the lively first half, but for me the attraction was that it did not focus too much on the dark days. It was a great night of lively and light entertainment.

I shall look out for the Bat out of Hell tour: sounds good!