1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bearing weight on legs.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladymarm, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Just curious to hear your experiences: our little girl is almost 8 months old. tricky start with surgery then recovery and being below .4th centile for first few weeks so very underweight. Now happily on 50th centile, sitting, curious,grabbing and reaching for toys and is a really smily, cheerful child.
    Just one thing troubling me -she doesn't bear any weight on her legs. She loves kicking on her changing mat and really thumps her feet hard and kicks like mad in a deep bath or pool but if i hold her upright her legs just bend under her! Don't get me wrong i am not desperate for her to walk (I didn't till 18 months apparently and seem to be physically fine) but wonder if any of you have experienced this with your children. other babies her age all seem to be making their little legs rigid to stand. She doesn't roll much either.
    Went to gp today who wants to do a 'check' on thurs (originally asked me to come back at 6pm today which I said wasn't convenient as it's her bedtime) and was made to feel that she was concerned so now i feel a bit anxious (default setting these days). Any comments?

2. Just curious to hear your experiences: our little girl is almost 8 months old. tricky start with surgery then recovery and being below .4th centile for first few weeks so very underweight. Now happily on 50th centile, sitting, curious,grabbing and reaching for toys and is a really smily, cheerful child.
    Just one thing troubling me -she doesn't bear any weight on her legs. She loves kicking on her changing mat and really thumps her feet hard and kicks like mad in a deep bath or pool but if i hold her upright her legs just bend under her! Don't get me wrong i am not desperate for her to walk (I didn't till 18 months apparently and seem to be physically fine) but wonder if any of you have experienced this with your children. other babies her age all seem to be making their little legs rigid to stand. She doesn't roll much either.
    Went to gp today who wants to do a 'check' on thurs (originally asked me to come back at 6pm today which I said wasn't convenient as it's her bedtime) and was made to feel that she was concerned so now i feel a bit anxious (default setting these days). Any comments?

3. Shame on GP for making you feel anxious.
    Don't worry lady. My LO didn't sit on her own until 8 months and wouldn't have been able to bear weight on legs (and would buckle under her). However, at 13 months, she pulling herself up and can hold her weight on her legs. She will get there eventually and like you said, has had a lot to deal with in her tiny little life so far. Your LO (and you) deserve a massive well done for getting her onto the 50th percentile (not that being on the 4th is anything negative as someone's got to be there, so to speak).
    My LO also never rolled much. If a toy was out of reach, she just wouldn't play with it. She's wasn't fussed at rolling to get it!
    Sounds like your LO is strenghtening her legs anyway with all the kicking. Try not to worry.
    xx

4. Bless you lilypot. i know you know how it feels to bloody WORRY!!! Thank you.i know you cant tell me everythings fine but really my gp was pretty dire this morning. in fact they always are... The bit of the story i omitted was me dashing to see the hv afterwards in tears of panic. She was kind and tried to reassure me that baby is still 'within normal range'. Thanks for sharing xx

5. I'm pleased the HV could reassure you.
    GPs are notoriously insensitive with new mothers. My sister's a GP and when I had my LO suffering with reflux, she was completely 'clinical' and said that because LO's gaining weight, nothing's wrong. But, yet, she couldn't understand when I knew something was up. And me and my sister are really close! So try not to worry too much about the GP.
    x

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I really wouldn't worry too much, they're all different. Don't start comparing, because babies all do things at different stages.
    I have 2 and they're both very active. My son crawled before 8 months and walked at 12.5 and at 2.5 years he can walk miles, and my 8 month old daughter rolled both ways at 3 months and has been walking round the furniture since 7 months.
    BUT my son was very slow to speak and I was getting concerned about him. He was 2 and 3 months before he really started to say more than a few words (now you can't shut him up!). So, they get there in the end, and they say they're either walkers or talkers and chances are your daughter may well speak early.
    I think doctors/HVs tend to worry parents about things like this, but i know people whose children haven't walked until 16 months or later and they're fine. After all, can you look at a group of 5 year olds and say which were the first to walk and talk?

7. See your point chica- about the 5 year olds. im a Reception teacher by trade so that struck a chord!!
    Still haven't really forgiven my gp for asking me if I'd 'passed the product' when I miscarried our first pregnancy in 2010 and when she didn't send me to hospital when she couldn't find a heartbeat at 30 weeks. Sigh. Think it's time to change surgery.
    Thanks ladies.

8. That's horrendous! Totally insensitive.
    Did this have a happy outcome? (sorry, I don't know your background). Either way, sounds like it's definitely time to change surgeries!

9. I'd definitely leave the surgery, thats awful how they've treated you, i just wouldnt be able to trust them! As for walking, my toddler didnt walk till 22 months!! We thought there was something wrong with her legs too but turns out she just couldnt be bothered! Now she's running at every opportunity!!!

10. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Baby Para's 8 months and has been able to bear weight on her legs for a long while - but her two little pals, both born the week after her can't! They all develop at different rates. Don't you go worrying. xx

11. Thanks Para. GP was fairly reassuring today. All seems to be ok except for that one thing which i am to go back about if it doesn't start to develop soon.