1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Beam me up, Headmaster

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Teacher recruitment crisis can be averted using Skype and unqualified teachers

'Technology that beams teachers into classrooms could help schools overcome a dearth of teachers, Sir Andrew said.

When speaking to a French teacher struggling to fill vacancies he “suddenly realised there are 60 million in France, and we have technology, so why don’t we embrace technology and just have a French teacher come in on a screen?
    '

(SchoolsWeek,.co.uk, 19th October 2015.)

Today, French teachers in France. Tomorrow, English teachers in India, and Finland, and Singapore &c.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Some time ago - about 15 years - the school I was in decided to partly teach a course by 'distance learning' - an AS course taught by 2 teachers, one on the staff, the other somewhere a long way away and broadcast in.

Not surprisingly after a year the distance learning element was scrapped...

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh, how we laughed! Here, they could just make a load of films of people teaching lessons and beam them into all schools - no teachers required at all then! S'all you need, surely? Teachers don't do anything except give a lecture to each class, do they?

What could possibly go wrong?

sabrinakat and FolkFan like this.
  4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Current schooling is unable to take proper advantage of IT pedagogically because

1) Most pupils on most courses don't want to be there, so physically present teacher-hectors get "better" "results"
    2) Most school courses are so daft that IT can only be used tangentially, to help produce "work"

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I remember, at primary school, how a piece of technology (new to schools) was used for the first time. It was called a....television. The idea was that programs specifically aimed at schools would be broadcast during school time and students would watch it on a set specially designed for schools.

The tv set itself was one specially sold to schools. It was a huge box on a stand, total height over six feet. The front of the cabinet had doors which opened in a way to provide a sun shield. The screen looked massive but I think it was about 21inches.

We sat on the floor of the school hall and waited and waited whilst the teachers fiddled with the set trying to get a signal. We finally managed to watch about five minutes of some obscure program before being sent back to class.

This was the last time I remember seeing this item used and I cannot remember watching a TV programme during the remainder of my whole school career.

Technology comes and goes but not all of it useful and, if it is useful, it is because a teacher makes it useful and deems it useful in their professional judgement.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Apparently he's a "Sir" and the leader of the government's teacher training review

And not just some random ill-informed idiot speaking his brains. I hope that after this particular gem, he will never be let anywhere near a school, a child, a teacher or anything with sharp edges.

I missed a trick somewhere.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah good another person proving they know **** all about education and don't need to be paid.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They do long-distance teaching in the bush in Australia don't they?

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

By necessity though... not because you've made conditions so **** for staff that you have no other option but to do it that way.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's an interesting article.

He's the head of a large (758 pupils) primary, where
    "Each teacher rated “good or better” at the 758-pupil primary is matched to a trainee teacher who they mentor for a year, The academy has 150 trainee teachers overall and also employs 67 teaching assistants at the school: 58 of whom are graduates waiting to begin teacher training programmes."

I certainly don't agree with all his ideas, but liked this one, which flies in the face of current marking dogma:
    “One of the things we need to teach teachers is how to sample mark … [and] we need to teach teachers is that it’s okay to go the pictures on a Wednesday, or go the gym."

11. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Is Vince on commission?

sabrinakat likes this.