1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be warned: the next Ofsted Rottweiler to be appointed will come with even sharper fangs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I gave up having any hopes about Ofsted in about 1995.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

There won't be any teachers left for Ofsted to inspect if it gets more aggressive than it is now.

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

OFTWIT? Politicians' ego-trip, complete waste of money.

skiermeetsboarder likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It bothers me that the language surrounding Ofsted is couched in terms of aggression. It's seems to be the case that our government prides itself in sanctioning the fear and dread that Ofsted are apparently designed to instill. Furthermore, it bothers me that there has derived a 'them and us' in education when, fundamentally, we all want educational establishments that serve young people well. It's truly awful that it's got to this point :(.

Anonymity, SamMCook, JL48 and 13 others like this.
  6. Middlemarch

Well stated. Agree entirely.

Lara mfl 05, JL48 and delnon like this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It it really any surprise that there is a shortage of teachers?

Anonymity, Lara mfl 05 and delnon like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Or Headteachers.

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  9. Middlemarch

And if this sort of statement doesn't getting people into teaching, I don't know what will!

Alf58 likes this.
  10. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Conscription?

Oops, shouldn't have said that. Some poor skivvy in Fawlty T... Sanctuary Buildings will get an e-mail at home tonight demanding a feasibility study by breakfast tomorrow...

11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

You think your joking? Last time there was National Service in this country, becoming a teacher was an alternative for graduates. I met several when I first started.

Apparently not just in teaching and not just the government, it seems the world is in danger of being run by psychopaths.

In teaching, it is simply the search for the "magic bullet". The idea that there may not be one never seems to impinge on the government's collective consciousness.

12. ricjamclick

ricjamclick New commenter

I don't personally care who she appoints, but do think that appearance at Education Select Committee that she made last year, when she said that she intended to "tackle underperformance in places where it had never been addressed" or some such ridiculous hyperbole, indicates that whilst she isn't as dangerous as Gove was ideologically, she is intending to brandish teachers and teaching in the most irresponsible and damaging way possible rather than try to swim against the tide of her party and try to do something constructive.

This would concur with the article and is hardly a surprise.

13. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Rottweiler? I would prefer them to take a leaf out of the smilodons' book and become extinct...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    delnon likes this.
  14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I think I might have been taught by some of those conscripts. There may be some mileage in the idea: people whose parents were married to each other at the time of their conception could be conscripted into teaching for five years or lose their state pension.

The others could go into politics as usual and steal those pensions anyway.

15. Middlemarch

I used to call it the "magic wand" - but you're absolutely correct, in my view.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Poor old rottweilers. They're lovely dogs if treated and trained well - like most dogs - and don't need this kind of bad press.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Hmmmm. I am not so sure. Now that they've passed the last bits of legislation they don't really need a lumbering expensive quango costing them lots of votes. If you could have schools with all qualified teachers, LAs and proper pay progression with nasty Ofsted or, the chaotic bullying mess we have now sans nasty Ofsted, which would get your vote?
    With progress 8 you could shrink Ofsted by 50% and still be fine, Russell Hobby has argued for good enough or not good enough as the new ratings. Mix that up and you are saving a lot of money, reducing workload and those academy chains currently spending their hard earned profits in Ofsted readiness could sit back and warm their hands with the oodles of extra cash they could pump into their already excessively inflated salaries.
    Say they appointed Russell Hobby and let him do all that - would you be pleased?

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

My prediction is that the new head of OFSTED will be a showboating egomaniac, who will make teacher's lives a misery via essential changes to the curriculum.

19. FergieBee

FergieBee New commenter

I teach Physics in one of the top 30 state schools in the country (so they tell me), we always have outstanding results, staff send their own children there, which to me is the mark of a great school. Whatever someone says I ask, "Where do you send your children?"

We haven't had an OFSTED in over TEN YEARS. Until the new head came in we didn't think about OFSTED that much we just all did our jobs with true dedication to the best of our ability and the school is / was fantastic.

Truly OUTSTAND in every department. Teacher become teachers to do a good job leave them alone and they will.

But what a difference one wrong man can man!

erinmly and Anonymity like this.
  20. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

That's a pretty safe prediction. After all, the pattern has been well and truly set. :(