1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest when you are in the outdoor classroom do you actually teaching anything.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ecila1407, Nov 4, 2005.

1. How much time do really engage with children? During November and December does the idea of the outdoor curriculum seem like a really bad idea.

2. How much time do really engage with children? During November and December does the idea of the outdoor curriculum seem like a really bad idea.

3. love your post :)

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sometimes I just sit on a bench and have a stream of children who join me on it for a conversation or a story or a song or a post-fall cuddle. Since some of our children have parents who speak little English [not their fault] or who are permanently hooked up to their earphones [their fault] I consider this to be an excellent teaching/learning opportunity.
    You don't have to be super-creative all the time. A mud pie is a mud pie is a mud pie. Giant paint brushes, baby ladybirds and dens are new to the children, however jaded we feel.

I agree that outdoors shouldn't be a replica of indoors, btw.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't get that.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

What I mean is that you should use it in a way that suits you better.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why should the children be denied access to fresh air etc just because you dont feel 'creative'?
    What nonsense have the powers-that-be instilled in us?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

perhaps the children do feel creative and could show you how ...outdoors

Our children no matter what age love things like bubbles or ribbons outdoors exploring the power of the wind or hunting for "treasures" which are often small stones or twigs or making shadows and trying to jump on them or making "nests" from cut grass or just sitting talking ...

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

What is wrong with us that we can't see the obvious benefits of an outdoor environment?

10. Crickey I cannot believe this thread children just love the outdoors and thrive there! Have a look here for inspiration...http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/cat/MP/MP.html
    Pat

11. Msz

12. Msz

This sums up my idea of outdoors nicely
    " All of the outdoor spaces have
    the potential for learning, The role of the adult is to see the potential
    and respond to it so those children can play and interact with nature.

The vision of an outdoor play area or a garden where children are at
    play will not look manicured. It is a space where children interact with
    the elements and therefore want to sit in a puddle, pull grass to make
    soup or continually walk in a muddy hollow.
    "

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you Msz.

nature
    puddle
    grass soup
    muddy hollow

Now, if you can't see the learning potential in these, you shouldn't be teaching in EYs.